No Cold Air

budpytko

Registered
My turn for no cold air! Drove it to a Drs appt this AM, worked fine. Got back in it after the appt, came on ok after start, pulled out into traffic and that was the end of it.

Bought a can of freon and hooked it up.... started the engine, turned a/c on full - compressor would not engage. Shut off engine, removed can of freon and came back inside to the nice cool house.

Where do I start?

I had just replaced the clutch/pulley ass'by last year.....thought the bearing was squealing but it was the tensioner.

My AC compressor wouldn't engage because the Freon was too low and it triggered a switch. A full evap and recharge did the trick.

Gen 2s seem to be more prone to AC issues ;)

Can't I short the low pressure switch and turn on the compressor so I can put more freon in it? If so, can anyone tell me what wires to short to do it.

I know this can be done in OTHER vehicles......but with our electronic control module??????

I think the switch sits on top of the black evap canister in the engine bay on the (passenger side).

How many PSI is your gauge showing?

Your compressor should kick on with that much pressure in there. Typically one can of freon is enough to get the compressor on enough to charge.

However, try jumping just the switch to see if the a/c works then. You could have a bad pressure switch.

I THOUGHT I jumped it...no compressor action. What's the trick in jumping it? I stripped the wires back a little and stuck a clip lead on them.....nothing. I couldn't get the freon to go in without the compressor running.

100-200? Ok it sounds like you over did it... The switch will turn off the compressor if pressure is too high also.

It needs to be in the 25-40 range unless you're hooked into the high pressure port which you shouldn't be.

There's two ports...one up front near the radiator and one back one the evap. My cd says the low pressure port is the one near the firewall.... at the evap. Also near that low press switch....actually called the A/C cycling switch on the cd.

The pressure he is quoting is for a system at rest, which 100+ lbs on the low side would not be abnormal, as the pressure equalizes when the compressor is not running. You won't see 25 to 40 lbs unless the compressor is running or the car is low on freon.

There really isn't a trick to jumpering the "a/c cycling switch", just make sure you got both terminals connected well.

I'm not sure, but the A/C clutch might be on it's own circuit. Check for blow fuses?

Well if the fuses are fine, have you heard of the cash for clunkers program? You could just junk it...

I'm just joking!

Any luck yet on figuring out why the compressor won't engage? I think the pressure switches are fairly cheap, like less then $20. Maybe look into just grabbing a new one?

But I would try to jumper it again first. If it doesn't engage the compressor clutch then, I'd check for voltage there. If you don't have voltage there, I would have to check the wiring diagram to see where to go from there.

Got an expert going to look at it this weekend....he can also evacuate and refill the freon. No charge and with my "gofer" help! Of course, I supply the freon.....and the beer. I'll let ya know what happened, of course.

Found out my EATC test mode does not work and I pulled a code from ODBII:
1530 .... A/C Clutch Circuit Open

Can anyone help with these two added clues.

The way to get into the EATC test is: Touch FLOOR and OFF at same time, then touch AUTOMATIC within two seconds, right? If so, it never goes into the test sequence. This should be done with engine off, key =ON, right?

Found out my EATC test mode does not work and I pulled a code from ODBII:
1530 .... A/C Clutch Circuit Open

Can anyone help with these two added clues.

The way to get into the EATC test is: Touch FLOOR and OFF at same time, then touch AUTOMATIC within two seconds, right? If so, it never goes into the test sequence. This should be done with engine off, key =ON, right?

Any chance that the connector on the compressor is just loose?

Also found out that code P1530 Also says in () (VLCM) Variable Load Control Module. Getting to be too many things to just say THIS (whatever it may be) IS the problem.

I will continue checking..... I guess I gotta do the Pinpoint Checks now.....yuck!

Back