oxygen sensor replacement

beerdog

Registered
I am planning replacing the 02 sensore on the 98. I did a search and read some of the posts that came up. Anyone have a picture of the recommended oxygen sensor tool? I boughta o2 sensor socket at the parts store but it is just a deepwell socket with the side cut out. It looks too big to work once I looked at the sensors on the car.

Any other tips?

Unhooking them is easy. You can snip the wires and use a box end wrench.

The real PITA is undoing the harness connector and hooking up the connector on the new ones.

why replace them? engine light on and that was the only code? AutoZone is famous for selling a ton of those after they do the "free engine code checking"
you need to see how its running ( lean? ) and which bank, i had o2 sensors as a code when my engine light came on, turned out it was only a really bad vacuum leak near the throttle body in a rubber 3 way right on the fire wall, replaced that with a plastic 3 way engine light out now
anyway, i believe the proper o2 sensor socket is a 13/16 (not sure thou) should look like a shallow socket with the side cut out for the wire to fit through, and an ear to the side for your 3/8 drive wratchet to fit in

We have our own codereader. Just chasing down a p174 (lean in bank 2) and a cylinder 5 misfire. You can really feel it when itthros the codes. Did a little searching on the web and found a picture of the smaller socket which they had at the parts store. Verified no coil issues. Just tried swapping the injector arround. Took for a test drive ....so far no codes. But they seem to never show when I want them to. I will ty looking for some vac leaks some more.

so you did a code reset?
on the OBD1 there should be 2 checks, a prestart and a run check, my vacuum leak by the throttle body was in the T valve, its a rubber splitter and mine had a hole in it big enough to stick a pencil in, that 1 piece was causing 14 differnt codes, this i recommend to be replaced by a new style plasic T, i also replaced the vacuum hoses to the climate evap canister with slightly larger hoses instead of those brittle plastic thin ones, pulls more vacuum making the vents blow slightly harder, cools and warms inside really fast now
i will also mention, if you have a stock intake, check where the resinator/noise dampner meet the breather tube, that sleeve will break and cause a bad leak, and also where the breather tube sits around the throttle body that the rubber gasket is in place and secure, dirty air filters can also throw engine codes if the MAS (which can also show as an o2 sensor code since its getting a wrong air/fuel ratio ) isnt reading properly, if it cant pull air thru the filter, itll pull it from somewhere else

Last edited:
Checked the plug. looked fine andis only a 6 months old. Reset the codes several times. Keeps throwing the same 2 codes. Air filter was changed 6 months ago to and cleaned then also. Idid notice alot of the vaume hoses and other rubber hoses are getting a little dried out. Was thinkig to start replacing them all.

Checked the plug. looked fine andis only a 6 months old. Reset the codes several times. Keeps throwing the same 2 codes. Air filter was changed 6 months ago to and cleaned then also. Idid notice alot of the vaume hoses and other rubber hoses are getting a little dried out. Was thinkig to start replacing them all.

Make sure the mass air sensor is clean as well. You said you cleaned it so i hope you don't have a k&n then over oiled it. Don't use brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner on it because they are too harsh for the wires, they make stuff now to clean it or use electronic component cleaner.
The front two sensors feed back into the computer for A/F ratio. I would change them in pairs.

I just got the 02's changed in the black car even though no codes as it had 140K on them. What a nice difference in idle etc. Mileage also went up another 2 MPG city. The Blue wrench was gently applied for persuasion.

Well, he's been complaining about it, and the other night it smelled really bad when I got out of the car (and it wasn't him). I am the one who told him to change the 02 sensors, although I don't know if bad cats (which I also mentioned) might be a cause of his problem?

I did not smell anything. Anyways, the misfire moved to cyclinder 6 after moving the injector from 5 to 6. Plan to change that but need to find one first. Was only able to checkwith 2 stores and neither had one. Also, found a hole in the rear hose going from the PCV T-junction to the upper intake. Not sure if it was already there or if I damaged it when I moved it out of the way to lift the fuel rail. That was also replaced with soem fuel line hose untill I can get a premolded unit fromt he dealer.

If you need an injector, I can help you avoid sticker shock. Just shoot me an email or PM.

also if you need to change the blow-by hose from the right bank valve cover to the intake, Volvo makes some that are the exact degree and length, i couldnt get one from oreillys or ford

also if you need to change the blow-by hose from the right bank valve cover to the intake, Volvo makes some that are the exact degree and length, i couldnt get one from oreillys or ford

I replaced mine at the hose aisle at Autozone...they put all of their hoses out in the store rather than behind the counter. I just browsed until I found a match...don't even know what car the hose was designed for. Just had to cut about an inch off the end.

oxygen sensor replacement - FIXED!!

oxygen sensor replacement - FIXED!!

Changed a fuel injector, 2 O2 sensors, and a new PCV by-pass hose. Also fixed a leaking tire. Front end had a vibe so I had the tires balanced and rotated.....vibe gone. That's enough for now.

Back