What did I do wrong? (fuel pump replacement - pics)

Ye_Lunatic

Registered
Ok. I successfully replaced my fuel pump with the Walbro 190, and the car works again!

However, I could NOT drop my gas tank all the way, as everyone who seems to have done this job was able to do. The exhaust pipe was in the way, and I didn't feel like going through the nightmare of removing that, as it was really rusted on.

As a result, I was only able to drop the tank several inches and I had just enough room to work my hands in, remove the old pump and put in the new one, although it was a huge pain in the a**. I was afraid that I was bending the tank a bit and I was worried that it was going to split at the seems. Everything seems to be working well now.

What did I do wrong? I had about a quarter of a tank of gas in there, but it didn't feel that heavy.

Here are some pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/yelunatic/Picture030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/yelunatic/Picture034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/yelunatic/Picture033.jpg

RE: What did I do wrong? (fuel pump replacement - pics)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Ok. I successfully replaced my fuel pump with the Walbro 190, and the car works again! However, I could NOT drop my gas tank all the way, as everyone who seems to have done this job was able to do. The exhaust pipe was in the way, and I didn't feel like going through the nightmare of removing that, as it was really rusted on.As a result, I was only able to drop the tank several inches and I had just enough room to work my hands in, remove the old pump and put in the new one, although it was a huge pain in the a**. I was afraid that I was bending the tank a bit and I was worried that it was going to split at the seems. Everything seems to be working well now.What did I do wrong? I had about a quarter of a tank of gas in there, but it didn't feel that heavy.Here are some pics:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...cket.com/albums/v127/yelunatic/Picture033.jpg
[/div]

Looks like the gasket that seals the tank was out of place when you twisted the bracket back on. That gasket is real loose and is easily knocked out of position. In fact, it fell into the gas tank once when I was fiddling with it.

Glad you got it working. :)

For a lot of work on the underside of the Mark, the exhaust needs to be lowered. Yes, it's a PITA when working on a creeper with the car on jackstands. I elected to have a shop do mine, none other than the same shop that did the exhaust to begin with.

Yeah, If I would have removed the exhaust pipe, getting at the fuel filter would have been eaier, but since it wasn't in the instructions, I thought I must have been doing something wrong.

"Looks like the gasket that seals the tank was out of place when you twisted the bracket back on."[/div]

What makes you say that? I thought I put it on correctly. Oh no!

I replaced my fuel pump two weekends ago with a 255 high pressure walpro.
I also thought that dropping the exhaust would be a pain but it really wasn't bad. The two bolts at the flange connector behind the third cat both came off without problems, after a little PB Blaster. Then just remove the two bolts at the back hangers, slip the intermediate hanger off and it is down.
Replacement was just as easy.
Looks like you got the tank into a good position and you were successful so that is all that matters.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]"Looks like the gasket that seals the tank was out of place when you twisted the bracket back on."[/div]What makes you say that? I thought I put it on correctly. Oh no!
[/div]

Probably after the fact by now, but I mentioned the gasket because it looks like the pictures show a leaking seal around the pump bracket. I could be wrong though.

Back