Possible Bad Gas Or Traction Control Malfunction

njf207

Registered
98' Mark 95,000 after getting premium fuel at a small station the car start hesitating badly. When I pulled out the traction control came on and functioned fine. This is still happening. When I get into the peddle hard this when it hesitates. My babys hurtn please help.

Thanks
Nick

Stop and try some Sta-Bil additive. You can buy it at most chains and boat places, When you put it in also add a gallon or 2 to help it mix in your tank. Do not keep mashing the peddle other wise you may end up breaking something.
After you should be showing some codes on a check engine light. When was fuel filter changed ? When was the last tune up ? Get back to us and we can help.

Turn the traction control "OFF". Then start over. I thing you don't understand how traction control works.

I understand how the traction control works it can retard timing and also works off the abs pump and speed sensors yes this is something I understand. I am going to try some sea foam and a fuel filter. I am picking both of these up today on my way home. If this does not cure the poblem what should I start with next. I will turn the traction control off and try that before I change anything.

Thanks
Nick

... the traction control works it can retard timing.

I don't think the traction assist system on the Marks were that sophisticated back then. As far I know it only applies the brakes to the wheel that it senses is slipping, nothing more.

On a lot of newer cars the cars with electronic throttles it will actually "let off" the throttle until the wheels regain traction, but again I don't think there is any timing changes.

As far as your problem, are there any lights on your dash, such as the check engine light?

I would check some of your sensors to ensure they are plugged in, like your Mass air flow sensor and other sensors that are on your air intake and near the throttle body just to eliminate the simple possible causes.

I don't think the traction assist system on the Marks were that sophisticated back then. As far I know it only applies the brakes to the wheel that it senses is slipping, nothing more.

On the first gen Mark 8's you are correct
On the second gen Mark 8's you are incorrect.

I have checked all sensors that I can see and everything looks normal. Is my understanding of the traction control correct.

I will also try that before I do anything. The traction active light was not on. I feel this could still be a fault thats why I posted that I thought the tc had malfunctioned. I will let you all know how it turns out around six or so tonight.

With 5 gallons of gas in the tank and a full can of sea foam and a new fuel filter the problem was all but gone. I filled the car from a more popular filling station and the problem was gone all together. Now to kick that guy in the head that left his tanks get that bad.

The station owner if avoiding me so he knows he has a problem or he wouldnt be avoiding me. I am only asking for the $20 that I paid for the fuel and the $30 for the parts and sea foam. Its not like Im asking for a new engine or anything big like that. Why do people do stuff like this.

Was it a corporate station such as Exxon or Mobil?
The reason I ask is Exxon stands behind their fuel 100%.

I had a problem a couple of years ago, RUST killed my fuel pump.
My tank had rust in it as well.
When I spoke to the people at the gas station they told me "your fuel tank is rusted".
......(pauses for effect)

To which I replied, HOW pray tell would a plastic fuel tank RUST?
there are no ferrous metals in our fuel system.

After going around and around with the folks at the station, I contacted Exxon customer care and explained the whole ordeal.

Since I had ONLY been using ONE gas station for many years, they had no recourse except to "PAY" for my cars repairs.
I scanned recipts for over 350.00 in fuel, all from the same station...
They REFUNDED ALL MY MONEY spent on fuel for the reciepts that I had sent to them
I got 350.00 from Exxon.

that is why I always say.. "use exxon fuel" because if you have a problem Exxon WILL stand behind their product, even if the actual STATION wont.
About 4 months later that Exxon pulled their tanks out of the ground and sold the property.

This is a very small station that has no brand. I am not sure who they buy there fuel from. The pumps look to be 25 plus years old and I am guessing the tanks are the same age or older. The owner has yet to call me back. I have sence let me Attorney handle this little problem. I spoke to him and he said he would take care of it and not to worry about it. That was about 11 am this morning. I explained that this had been going on since sunday morning and I had not been able to contact the owner.

The station owner if avoiding me so he knows he has a problem or he wouldnt be avoiding me. I am only asking for the $20 that I paid for the fuel and the $30 for the parts and sea foam. Its not like Im asking for a new engine or anything big like that. Why do people do stuff like this.

Its all in the proof. You have to have proof that the station did wrong. That would also mean EVERY car that has filled up there recently should be having problems....

Thats the problem the kid that works there told me they havent had premium fuel delivered in over a month. So how much do they sell. Lets say the only have a 5,000 gal tank for 93 and thats been sitting for over a month. How much premium can they really sell.

Word to the wise, ONLY use "premium grade fuels" from "premium grade gas stations".

alot of these "off brand" stations will use what is called "slop fuel", which is fuel that FAILED QA/QC for a top tier gas station.

For instance, Exxon inspector finds substandard fuel in a barge or holding tank and rejects it.. that "reject fuel" is sold off to "off brand vendors" at a discounted rate.

"THEY" save money on the slop fuel and charge you premium prices for what other companies have "Rejected".

I always make a habit of buying my fuel from larger stations that move more valume to avoid this problem. I was low on fuel and made the mistake of buying fuel there. This was also my mistake.

Back