Seafoam?

93LINCMK8

Registered
This may be a stupid question but what does seafoam do? I saw some clips on YouTube. It makes the engine smoke alot for a while but what exactly is it doing?

It cleans out the carbon. Its like Ex-lax for the car! :D For some reason, the more smoke the dirtier it is.

I think I will do a couple cans this weekend followed by an oil change!

So how many cans do you use? I'll bet mine has never been Seafoamed before. When did this stuff come about?

Last edited:
i am a little skeptical about seafoam. i have read of alot of people using it, and ive used it a few times aswell. thing is, i was cleaning my upper intake manifold and i tried using seafoam to do so... well the seafoam barely took anything off. i tried using gas and that BLEW seafoam away. so i wonder if seafoam is actually doing anything at all?
and would using gas possibly clean the imrc's better?
and i remember, one time i spilled a few drops on the driveway. then lit with the lighter. get this, there was a bunch of smoke. so i wonder......

Last edited:
Seafoam has a detergent in it to aid in cleaning. If you were to load raw fuel down your intake trying to clean it you could hyro lock your engine. Seaform is only to help unstick the butterflies that get deposits on them. It is a very good product or most of us would not use or recommend it.

Seafoam has a detergent in it to aid in cleaning. If you were to load raw fuel down your intake trying to clean it you could hyro lock your engine. Seaform is only to help unstick the butterflies that get deposits on them. It is a very good product or most of us would not use or recommend it.

I also use SeaFoam, but Sal and Steve have a good point. I wonder if there are any lab test results or side-by-side cleaning comparisons that exist somewhere.

all i know is that i have loaded and loaded seafoam in my intake(obviously not all at once) and there was loads of "deposits" in my upper manifold. i havent opened up the lower, but have glanced into it and it seemed to be fairly dirty. ive put seafoam in through the vacuum on the upper and i have sprayed it through the TB . for lets say 25 bux ive spent on the seafoaming, it seems there are alot of "deposits"... pretty dissapointing. im sure in some way the product does something productive, but from what ive seen the cleaning ability is not one of its strengths.
i guess getting the butterflys to unstick might be useful, but isnt that just acting as a lubricant? if it is in fact lubricating then alot of people are mislead to believe they are cleaning the manifold.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar w/ seafoam I'm a marine mechanic. we use a liquid called engine tuner. you crack the throttle open and start spraying it thru the intake. it cleans very well and adds kind of a sickly sweet smell to the exhaust. does that sound like seafoam? where do you get it?

"...and i remember, one time i spilled a few drops on the driveway. then lit with the lighter. get this, there was a bunch of smoke. so i wonder......"

Versus? Think about it. If it was really flammable dont you think it would either quickly food the engine or worse, detonate!

A lot of people say it works well. I've been happy with it. Just remember, the engine needs to be up to full temp. If its cold it wont do crap, it needs the heat. It is not a cleaner to use with a brush.

Put it in a hot engine and as the can runs out you stall it out. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so and start it back up. Take it out on teh highway to help blow everything through.

If anyone comes across before and after pics that would be cool though, would be nice to know for sure it works and how well.

I recommend Berrymen for everything. It totaly uncloged my intake and EGR eats away oil and it will not lave an oily residue. Not to mention Berrymens an inlaw of mine. hehe

I'm not familiar w/ seafoam I'm a marine mechanic. we use a liquid called engine tuner. you crack the throttle open and start spraying it thru the intake. it cleans very well and adds kind of a sickly sweet smell to the exhaust. does that sound like seafoam? where do you get it?

you can pick it up at any regular car parts store usually. pep boys, autozone, advanced auto, etc... and no that product does not sound like seafoam.
im so glad this topic came up cause i was going to actually start a thread about this. i would also like to see some pictures.... so if anyone is out there????

I remember a long time ago....someone posted a video of a Seafoam treatment...with the resulting smoke screen....you'll have to do a search for it.....

everyone knows what it looks like coming from the back of the car, but that doesnt prove a thing. we need someone to show before and after of the actual parts that are being cleaned. every one know the smoke that comes from seafoam.

Any time you spray an oil base product into the motor it’s going to smoke, even water for that mater. I tried the seafome and didn’t like the result. Barryman spray in my opinion really works the best for cleaning and freeing parts but it is not designed to lubricate so after you clean a part that has moving parts you may need to spray a lubricant.

What vaccum hose do you use to suck in the seafoam? Any pics of the hose? Do you pour the seafoam in cup or suck it right out of the can? do you use the entire can?

Walmart also carries seafoam.

I do sea foam about every 60-70K.
it works well and the car runs, idles and peforms better overal.

I also use berrymans b-12 chemtool in the tank about every 10K.

I like both products, they serve their individual purposes just fine.

I know for a fact that I dont have to waste a sets of intake gaskets and hours of labor to "CONFIRM" seafoam actually "Does something"...

Just considering the fact that our intake has "MOVING PARTS" is enough reason for me to seafoam it once in awhile.

I like how the seafoam is going into the plenum area of the manifold as that is getting "more product" to the affected area in a more efficient manner IMHO.

I also unplug the IMRC vacuum reference so they spring "open" and allow the seafoam to enter both ports and I generally run two cans thru to make sure I get good complete saturation.. and my personal preference is to "not bog the motor til it dies".

I simply turn off the key.

*shruggs*

-not valid with any other offer, your mileage may vary..ect.

What vaccum hose do you use to suck in the seafoam? Any pics of the hose? Do you pour the seafoam in cup or suck it right out of the can? do you use the entire can?

Walmart also carries seafoam.

look in the center of your intake manifold there is a vacuum tree that feeds vacuum to the brake booster.

most use the line coming from the brake booster to the intake.

*tip* get a smaller section of hose that fits INSIDE that brake booster line and it'll make it easier to manipulate and get teh seafoam out of the can.

Back