car feels really loose and pops at low speeds

7 sek mark

Registered
so when im turning tight in to or backing out of parking spaces i get a loud pop out of my front end. any idea what that might be? i know the upper arms are about a year old or so and i just replaced the bushings on the arm side of the strut rods. should i maybe replace the bushings on the other end too even thought they look to be ok or should i look else where?

i was on the interstate the other day running about 80-85 and had to dodge a recap laying in the road. as i did this the car started to sway back and forth kinda bad. pretty scary when you have a semi truck on one side and a wall on the other with not much of a buffer zone on either side. the car also seems to get blown around alot on the hiway its sorta a scary feeling. i know for a fact that my tires are good i checked the tread and the pressure about a week or so ago and again when i got back home just to make sure.

is the swaying just due to the not stiff chassis or is it more than likley due to o warn and or shot bushings in the suspension?

lower ball joints dude, time to replace. just buy the whole control arm, just the ball joints when bought seperately are almost as much as the lower control armswith the ball joints in them.

The lower arm comes with the bushing at the subframe.
Check your rack too.

Last edited:
For safety sake, my recommendation is to just jack up the car and check all 4 wheels for loose play FIRST. Check up & down(bearing)....as well as side to side(tie rods). You never know, what you find may scare you to think you were driving the car that way. Don't mean to sound dramatic, but if one wheel isn't "attached" to the other, who knows which way the car will go.

Being a good mechanic means to test drive the car first before working on it. Being a great mechanic means to "know when" to check the car first BEFORE the test drive!

that might be part of it i just did the strut rod to LCA bushings on my car but did not cut the sleeve any. i guess thats what i get for not checking before hand. these bushings were so bad on my car when ever i got above about 60 mph i could hear the rod beating back and fourth in the arm and i could roll the tire back and forth about 2 inches with the car not moving at all.

ya i deff think its time for a new rack i was taking my friend home tonight and he got out and noticed a fresh line of fluid leading up to my car. so i backed up and smalled it and its P/S fluid leaking out of the pass side outer seal. so now i gotta find out how much a new (or good used) one will be and how much of a bi!ch it will be to change.

ya i deff think its time for a new rack i was taking my friend home tonight and he got out and noticed a fresh line of fluid leading up to my car. so i backed up and smalled it and its P/S fluid leaking out of the pass side outer seal. so now i gotta find out how much a new (or good used) one will be and how much of a bi!ch it will be to change.
I was going to change mine today, but the weather sucks.
If I were you I would stay away from A1/Cardone, that's what I used and I learned the hard way. Sure, it was only $100 with a lifetime warranty, but that doesn't cover having to change it again. I would recommend a Ford reman, but I think they are discontinued. Mine doesn't leak, but it's noisy.
It's not too bad to change, the only thing I can think of that is a pain was the "elbow" fittings that get in the way and make it hard to pull it out. I had to buy new ones, mine rusted and broke. And, you'll need an alignment when you're done.

na if all your doing is changing the rack all you can throw out is the toe. that can be adjusted in the drive way with a jack, nail on a block of wood, and a tape measure.

Back