Shift interlock

Joeb6812

Registered
Has anyone ever had an issue with the shift interlock on their mark? I let my friend use the car and he called me saying he couldnt put the thing into gear from park. He said his foot was on the brake but the button on the shifter would not depress. I havent had a chance to even see the car yet but maybe someone has seen this before.

If your rear neon light caused the fuse to burn out, your brake lights and shift interlock won't work.

See if your brake lights work, if they don't, try unplugging the neon and then replace the fuse.

The neon has had water in it for a while now. My buddy got stopped by MSP at like 4am today and the trooper said there was no tail lights at all. All that can be caused by the neon? If so, then bye bye neon it is. Those things are big money right?

What did your friend do to get the car to shift out of park? Did he disconnect all the rear lights?

All you need to do is disconnect the neon light. The plug is near the trunk lid latch, just under the trunk lid grey non woven carpet trim peice. The rest of the lights should work fine.

You should be able to find a used neon light.

I told him to do the old turn the key one click forward and put it in neutral then start the car and go from there.

What will a used neon cost and does it come with the painted trim around it or do I have to get it painted? Not sure if it's worth it since the car is now just a spare off island car.

I hope you told him to make sure the brake lights work before he drives it again. :)

The price of a used neon will depend on the condition of it, and what the seller wants for it. You might find one that matches your color, or just paint it to match.

I paid 325 bucks for a somewhat rare, Collectors Edition neon, my color, in excellent condition. You shouldn't have to pay that much though, I've seen them much cheaper than that.

If I can find one like 150.00 then I will probably fix it, but for 325.00, it can stay out. LOL! Thanks.

Back