power steering presure hose connection

beerdog

Registered
Is there a trick to installing the power steering presure hose fitting at the pump? I can't see any way to get a wrench on there. I was looking at some part diagrams and it looks like that fitting is removable. Plus the pump I bought came with a fitting on it as if the pressure line is simply pressed in. I am thinking that because the fitting has an internal oring. The Ford manual gives no details on how to remove the hose.

I cut the end off of an open end wrench and used a drift, to tap it loose or tight.

If you're having tuff time with that fitting, just remove the pulley from the pump. It takes 5 minutes with a proper tool, and saves you all this aggravation.

Good idea. I have used the pulley tool before although the pump was of the car. Can the tool be used with the pump on the car? In other words will it fit in there? This is a new pump with the old pulley. My guess is it is not siezed on there and will come off pretty easy unlike removing it from the original pump.

What frosts my ass the most is I could have soooo easily conencted it when I reinstalled the K-member. I had the hose already hooked up to the rack.

So you had the pulley off already and you put it back on before connecting the line ? ;)

Yes, plenty of room to the R&R of the pulley.
It's not really any easier with the k-member out of the way as the pulley is the only thing getting in the way.
If you need more room, lift out the fan assy.

Too much beer over the weekend.

I was looking at videos online when I used the puller since I never did it. They always showed the person doing it on a bench with the pump off so I just went with that. Since I never installed this fitting before I had no idea it was such a PIA. It actually came off very easy. Somehow I got a wrench on it and it loosened up.

Is there such a thing as "too much beer"?

Removing the pulley is the way to go. Much easier.I would recomemnd removing the fan every time. My puller was a tight fit.

Back