Oh Noooooo Mr. Bill!

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
http://www.trioplus.tv/mr_bill/images/set15.jpg

My door handle has broken!!! :eek:

It hasn't broken clean off, but seems to have broken at the forward hinge. I suspect the gorillas who worked on it to put in the torque converter as it looks to have been 'superglued' or 'JBWelded' at one time. I thought it was strange when I picked the car up at the shop a couple days ago, they drove it around to the front and had the car running with the door open, like 'valet' service. ::wtf::

I happen to have one I picked up through eBay as a spare, but it is just the handle, no 'kit'. Is the 'kit' a necessity and does anyone have the P/N for it? Any one with words of wisdom on tackling the job?

Oh well, at least I have color matching paint.

RE: Oh Noooooo Mr. Bill!

That sucks.

As for the kit it would depend on if just the handle part is broke or if more is broken. I don't think they sell the parts separate. I cannot think of away to know what is/isnt broke without opening the door up to see inside.

If it's like mine was the pin broke and well as part of the handle. I am not sure of part number, but if you go to five star they had the best price when I had to replace mine.

I believe the new one is thicker, but it would have to be painted. I had a body shop do mine. I hear it is not to hard to do , just a bit time communing taking the door apart and putting it back.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I believe the new one is thicker, but it would have to be painted. [/div]

It is, I remember the new one is heavier looking for sure. I've had it forever, one of those things you just never know when you'll need it. :B I'll have to look closer and see if I can tell whether or not anything else broke along with it. I have enough paint to paint it, now it's just finding the time to deal with it. Maybe I'd be better off turning it over to a body shop. But my luck they would break something on the inside door panel. ::uh::

At least it wasn't the passenger side, I don't have a spare for that side.

take it off...makes your car lighter(faster). Just climb through the window like Bo and Luke.

[a
Club 16 President/Founder
94 Black/Black M8
97 Toreador red/Lt. graphite LSC M8
V.P. GGM8​

At least you have a spare lying around!

Shouldn't be too tough, as we all know it's a common problem.

I purchased a replacement kit from Max, and took it to my body shop so that they could paint it. I then went back several days later and had them install it. Glad I did as I assisted and there was no way my big paws were going to fit into that tight space. I paid $100.00 for the paint and install. Was worth it to me, as they also had the tools and knowledge to pop the door panels. "You gotta know your limits." :) :)

take it off...makes your car lighter(faster). Just climb through the window like Bo and Luke.

HAHAHHA yeah a blast from the past! Yes it's time consuming taking the door apart. I had to do my drivers door to replace new dimming mirror assembly. And i found out the freaks that installed my aftermarket speakers broke some tabs in there and glued them. Dishonesty sucks. Why can't they just have told you? I hate it when someone tries to pull a fast one over on me. Make em pay for the new handle assembly for trying to pass it off as you breaking it. All you broke is their glue weld, check it out when you get it all apart.

1995 DK BLUE Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK BLUE Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK HONDA CBR 600RR

I thought it was strange when I picked the car up at the shop a couple days ago, they drove it around to the front and had the car running with the door open, like 'valet' service. ::wtf::
[/div]

Omg, i almost fell on the floor laughing!!!!

Talk about crocs.

I remember I took very good care of my handle for that reason, it wasnt like the passenger side.

Thanks! I think I'll get 'the kit' after some more investigation, possibly paint it myself, then let a body shop handle it.

Update...

I received the complete kit from Max at FiveStar Ford for $75 and just dropped off the kit at the body shop for paint. They will call when ready for the install and promise same day service when I bring it in. The total quote from the body shop for paint, supplies and labor was less than $50! I think it was 0.4 hours paint and 0.5 hours labor to install at their $40/hr rate. Cheap at twice the price. ;)

No its not!! My driver's side just broke this afternoon. Sure hope Max has another Kit, specially with all the rain that is on its way with the hurricane.

No its not!! My driver's side just broke this afternoon. Sure hope Max has another Kit, specially with all the rain that is on its way with the hurricane.
[/div]

The kit only provides a couple of parts that may need to be replaced. It contains: a handle, housing, insulator, springs, spacers, pins and push nuts. The only wear part in the kit would be the handle springs. Besides the springs, generally only the handle or the handle housing will break on the pivot points. These two items are made out of pot metal. This is a combination of aluminum and whatever. The trouble with pot metal is you'll never know when or where it'll break.

So, if you inspect the door and find only the handle part is broken, just order another handle only. If the housing is broken, get the kit. The price difference between just the handle at $31 versus the kit at $70 plus, is worth a couple of cases of beer. Like I said, none of the other parts in the handle break or typically need to be replaced, besides the springs.

This is a picture showing the limited number of parts in the kit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/viol8or/Assembly1.jpg

Good luck

So, if you inspect the door and find only the handle part is broken, just order another handle only. If the housing is broken, get the kit. [/div]

Cool, I did it right. Upon inspection, my housing pivot had broken, and apparently one spring had sprung and the other spring was broken. The new one is significantly heavier built.

Yea, I called Max and he had a couple Kits on the shelf, and was over night shipping me one. I order the Kit mainly because I don't want to be caught short on any parts during the replacement as I have my body shop paint & install. I am blessed with big meat hooks that don't work well in those confined spaces. Thanks for the pics.
:) :) :)

Back