How to care for weatherstip and rubber?

Fife

Registered
I was looking in the manual of my 1994 Mark VIII. It said to use silicone to care for and protect weatherstip and rubber parts. What type of silicone spray should I get? I did not see anything in the parts store specifically for this purpose. Would I use silicone spray lubricant? I saw some "food grade" silicone spray at work? What would be the best way to protect the door and window seals from drying rotting, etc?

Thanks, Fife

I've used silicon spray from work with good results. I have some better stuff now, I forget what it's called, but it's a pro-detailer aerosol spray.

Abouut any kind of silicone spray you can buy at an auto parts store will work fine. I always spray a generous amount on a paper towel and then wipe it on the rubber.

The silicone spray I use is made by STP. I'm not sure if they still make it, I've had this can for a few years now.

I use aerospace 303 on vinyl on my boat and rubber on the car, works very well without attracting dirt and it just looks new not greasy.

Ok, I have some silicone spray lubricant in the shop. I will give that a try. Probably will use it once or twice a year on my vehicles.

Thanks, Fife

Back