Meguiars Sctratch X

calisonic

Registered
Used this stuff on my hood after washing the car to remove some of the swirl marks my black 98 is plagued with. Applied and buffed with brand new terry cloth buffing pads (by hand) now my hood looks "cloudy" from a distance and there are definite circular swirl marks everywhere up close (from applying the stuff). Not cool... How do I get rid of this?

Your car probably needs a professional buffing to take care of this. I've used scratch x before without issue.

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A877/A877UCID3 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

budpytko said:
Does the instructions tell you to put it on with circular motion or straight line.....?

just says to "apply"

read it again, its reccomended that you apply with a buffer, only experienced persons should apply scratch x with a buffer though. i use scratch x all the time on paint and even headlight lenses, i never apply it by hand. for best results apply with a dual action buffer. you will never get swirls out of paint ot clearcoat by hand. if its that noticable, its time for a pro to cut the clear with a buffer and polish and seal it.

The bottle has instructions for both hand and DA buffer. For the hand it says Dispense a small amount onto a 100% cotton terry towel or foam applicator pad. Word ScratchX 2.0 thoroughly into surface one section at a time.

Doesn't say to go circular or not.. guess I will be taking it somewhere.

scratch x has some fairly aggressive abrasives

i've used it with great results..but you have to use even pressure and very "little" pressure

let the product do the work.

if you have clouded the clear coat, try some clay bar...I've had great results with it as well in similar conditions.

if you work the clay carefully it'll produce a very very fine polishing solution.
it will be alot of time consuming work
usually takes about 2 hours to clay a hood.

fixing clouded clear coat will double that amount of time.

Also you may have used too much. A small amount is literally the size of a dime for 1/4 the hood. The idea is to use very small amounts over several applications. Personally I don't like the stuff very much, IMO it's more of a filler than a real scratch remover. Wet sanding by someone who is experienced at it is your best option.

wet sanding is a last resort to remove scratches, our cars alreay have thin clearcoat on them, so sanding is an absolute last resort. for heavy haze and scratches i use my variable speed 7 inch buffer with a lamb's wool pad and meguiars m-105, followed by wool pad and m-205, then i switch to my 6.5 electric D.A with a soft buff foam pad and seal with blackfire wet diamond. m-105 can cause as much damage as sand paper if you are not careful. m-105 is aggresive enough to remove 1200 grit sand paper marks with a single pass with a wool pad so its nasty stuff!

Back