What is the Midwest anyway?

Trixie

Staff member
Well, according to the club, we are IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI and the lower part of Ontario.

First off, I'm gonna suggest we ditch Ontario, since they now have their own chapter.

According to the new membership list we have up, here are our numbers, which aren't always too meaningful, since we are spread out, and some in one state may be closer to others in another state... well, I hope you know what I mean. There are also a few names missing in there which I expected to see, I'm hoping they are just oversights, hint hint...

So here's the current numbers:

IL = 11
IN = 6
IA = 2
MI = 9
MN = 6
MO = 3
OH = 6
WI = 3

Based on this - what do people recommend -- keep us all together? Split up? Add other states?

If we split up, we need volunteers to take officer positions. I put together a database based on the members as of right now. I'm trying to figure out how we need to hold an election, etc. for officers, but it seems to me we can start here.

Comments and suggestions are so welcomed you wouldn't believe it, as I have no real clue what I'm doing here. :)

RE: What is the Midwest anyway?

Well, my question would be if we dropped a state -- what chapter would it go to.......? Then the question becomes are the members of that state better served by us or by the other chapter. I dont think we should drop anyone that wouldnt go to another chapter.

Sorry, the intent isn't to drop anyone, it's to perhaps include more people (ie Kentucky isn't included anywhere) but to find perhaps a better way of organizing the areas. I think a lot of people believe we have too much of a Chicago focus, and IMO the best way to solve that would be to create perhaps 2 or 3 chapters instead of one extremely large one.

If this chapter serves everyone's purpose, there's no sense in changing it, but that wasn't the impression I had.

If anything, split MI into its own chapter. That is, if we do actually have 9 people that renewed. If we want to do that, i'll take a leadership role in the chapter. But don't think i won't be in Chicago this year!

WIth only 45-50 total midwestmembers, it doenst make sense to me to split into 2 or 3 groups. If a state could be better served by another chapter, then perhaps it would make sense, and I would leave it up to the members in that state....i.e. if Michigan wanted to be part of the ontario chapter......

As far as Chicago being the focus, I think Chicago tends to be the closest for the most members -- and thus makes sense to be the main focus as more members can attend things, but that doesnt mean we cant host some stuff further north.

Well, my question would be if we dropped a state -- what chapter would it go to.......? Then the question becomes are the members of that state better served by us or by the other chapter. I dont think we should drop anyone that wouldnt go to another chapter.

I don't think we're talking about dropping anyone, just focusing on the area that has the majority of members. I'm sure if Midwest people want to attend an Ontario chapter function we won't be discouraged to do so. I personally don't readily travel too far for a meet, as I'm sure some people outside the Chicago area aren't readily available to take a 5 hour drive to hang out here.

Alot of Midwest Functions/Events are Chicago centered and I don't think that's fair to the Midwest members outside this area.

I do support a re-mapping of the Midwest. However, anyone who wants to be part of a chapter if there isn't a chapter in their immediate area should be allowed to choose a "Midwest" Chapter. And Everyone is welcome to the Chicago meets! We even enjoy having those East coast people out here. ;)

I would like to see an Illinois Chapter.

Don't forget the west coast people! There were a couple there last summer.

I live in Kansas , to be exact a city named Olathe, which is about 15 min from down town kansas City MO., and about 5 min from KCKS, where do I fit in with you guys? I am about as midwest as you can get. can we include KS in the midwest list, and am I the only one in the club fron KS ,I see a few Marks here and drop cards with our address on em but they never seem to join or at least they don't say they found a card on their windshield. just wondering

Well, we only have one member from Kansas, and it'd be mean to leave you out, so I'll propose we add Kansas to our area, along with perhaps: Kentucky - 3 members, and maybe Nebraska - 4.

Maybe we could look into splitting into North Midwest and South Midwest?

More ideas? More volunteers? We don't have any officers right now, you know.......

thanks for including me or proposing to include me anyway. I'll have to put my brain to it and see what I can come up with. Finally someone wants me!LOL,maybe since I am so close to KCMO maybe I can count for a MO owner...just an easy remedy,welcoming any ideas.

I'd like to be added to the roster for the midwest members, I went ahead and e-mailed some pics that i have on file of my car to the yahoo address,they are before I did the coil over conversion,so thats the only mod thats not shown,when I get my digi camera working right again I'll send better pics for my car. thanks again, jeff

got your pics Jeff, I'll add them to the member rides section as soon as I get a chance. I still have to add Brad's pics. Sorry Brad, I totally slacked on that. I have to update this stuff from my computer at home.

yeah the pics kinda suck but I will be getting a new digi camera soon and will give you some cooler ones! those were just a couple I had on file,so we can replace em later,so take your time on getting em up cause i am in no hurry!, and thanks again

we have talked about this before. There are more than enough people to make a seperate chapter in KY, OH, and WV. The midwest is huge.

OK, so if we split off KY (3), OH (6) & WV (2) - that would make sense in a regional way.

IMO, I'd then think the rest of the midwest could be split into two areas.

The thing is, we need to clarify this, have willing officers to run the chapters, and then present it to the BOD for approval, and there still are no people who have offered specifically (except Sleeper) to run for any of these positions.

i'll run for some office of the midwest,I guess midwest division.what could we divide to include me and others?pres,or vice pres?.....post all ideas.

OK, so if we split off KY (3), OH (6) & WV (2) - that would make sense in a regional way.

Yes, those 3 states do a lot of regional things, so an 'Ohio Valley' LOD Chapter would make sense.

I would like to think I could find time to volunteer, but I would probably be lucky to find time to participate in chapter events, let alone run for an office and help organize something. What specifically would one need to start a chapter?

Back