Put-in-Bay summer 2006 meet

RE: Put-in-Bay summer 2006 meet

I picked a number. I've been out there in 11 footers in a larger boat. Trust me, it wasn't fun. And i've seen someone leave their boat there with 4-5 footers rolling in. Those are bigger than you think in a small offshore boat.

I want to view the events calendar on www.putinbay.com before i commit to a date, and it's blocked here from work because it's an "uncategorized IP address"

Dave, I love the idea of a combined Cedarpoint/PIB trip. One of my close friends lives in Norwalk so I will see if he can join us too. I know some secrets to CP Top Thrill too. I will not post it here but lets just say always get to ride it when I am there and it is working. August 5th and 6th sound fine to me.

Looks like there's nothing going on that weekend in August, but that's okay. I may end up heading back down in September as well.

http://www.putinbay.com/calendar.htm

Now it's just a matter of coming up with cash to make the trip. I'm figuring it's about 80 miles each way by water, and i figure i'll burn about 80 gallons round trip. Plus another 20-25 miles each way to cedar point, so that would make it closer to a 100 gallon round trip. So $325 in gas. Probably only $100 or so in gas if i tow it down there, plus gas in the truck. Then there's dockage. $1.40 / ft on the public docks, that comes to $38 / night. Cedar Point dockage is $50 for the night, minimum.

If i head down Thursday afternoon, do PIB Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night, take it easy Sunday, head to Cedar Point Sunday afternoon, stay there Sunday night, do Cedar Point Monday, and come back Tuesday, that's $114 at PIB, $100 at Cedar Point, $30 admission to Cedar Point, plus figure $70 spending at Cedar Point (3 meals and some beers), probably $200 spending at PIB (that may be on the light side), that comes to... a lot. $840 round trip. If i skip Cedar Point and just come home Sunday (probably will have to), that means i'll only spend about $600. If i tow, it'll be more like $450 for just PIB and $650 for both.

Plus golf cart rental :).

I should be able to get someone to split the gas with me, maybe even two people. But they'd be camping so they wouldn't split dockage. That should bring the cost down. But that still leaves me a month to squeeze an extra $500 or so out of my budget.

If that's not doable, i'll just come down Friday and leave Sunday, tow the boat and launch in Port Clinton. That should cut the total cost down to $300 or so, if i bring a friend it'll be totally doable.

Would anyone object to making the trip the weekend of August 10-13 instead?

I just called my dad, and he has plans to head down that weekend with another couple, because that's when they get off. And I like going to the bar with my dad, he has a tendency to pick up the tab.

I've crunched some numbers, i'm thinking i'll take the boat down either Thursday night or Friday morning, probably tie off on the public docks, but may do the marina where that sign mysteriously disappeared (that's where my dad usually stays). And i'll just head back Sunday, and skip Cedar Point.

I'm asking my dad to verify what weekend he's going, and i'm going to plan to go that weekend. That'll either be the weekend of the 4th or the weekend of the 11th. So for now, if possible, hold both dates on your calendar.

Well it's looking like the following weekend now anyway... so why not come on back down?

Okay, i'm planning on going to put-in-bay august 10th and coming back the 13th. My dad will be down there on his boat, and i will be coming down with some friends either on my boat or on another boat.

come one, come all. Drive down for the day or for the weekend, depending on proximity. Not sure how busy things will be that weekend, but hotels and campgrounds are available on the island. We can do some sightseeing and plenty of drinking. We can rent a frickin' huge golf cart as necessary.

So, who's coming?

Looks like i'll be at Ladds Marina, which is where the sign mysteriously disappeared last year. My dad will have his '69 Chris Craft there, and i will either be in my boat or a friends yet-to-be-purchased boat.

I'm pretty sure I can go. Let's find a good place for us all to stay at.

did you guys settle on a date yet? and do you have to be a LOD club member to go?

93 mark 8

kool, count me in then.

OK, we need to find a place to stay.

Anyone interested in this?

http://www.campingfriend.com/ShadeAcresCampgroundandCottages/default.asp?file=Rates

Either that or there are a bunch of hotels/motels in Port Clinton, but we really should pick a place and make sure they have openings and we get reservations in.

Here's a link to some hotels, but they are a lot pricier the weekend of the 11th.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-478609-port_clinton_vacations-i

EDIT: here's another link:

http://www.portclintonhotels.com/

Hotels on Put-In-Bay are EXPENSIVE... and moreso on the "good" weekends.

At this point, you're not finding one. They're all booked. My friend Ted tried to get a hotel reservation for the trip, it didn't fly. He's now boat shopping and / or planning on camping.

So, either camp, bring an RV, or get a hotel in Port Clinton or Sandusky and take the ferry. I think i'll be on the same dock as the ferry that we took from Port Clinton last time, and you'll be welcome to stop by my boat and have a few beers.

troops-
Sorry I haven't checked in for a while, just wanted to help make your trip here as good as possible.

I called the Days Inn 419-734-4945 this evening and for the evenings of 8/11 & 8/12 they could supply 6 rooms with 2 double beds (4 people each room). The cost was $108 plus $135 for Saturday night. This is a clean hotel and easy to get to. You could leave the cars there and have Linda's taxi pick you up and take you to either the Miller Ferry on Catawba, or the Jet Express downtown P.C. The Jet runs into the wee hours, and the Miller does not. The Miller also requires a cab ride into town on South Bass to get to the bars & Docks.

Campers- You have several choices. Here would be mine in order of preference from what I have heard about their facilities.

Cedarlane RV Park 419-797-9907
Shade Acres 419-797-4681
Camp Runamuck 419-798-5775
East Harbor State Park

For All

Linda's Cab Company 419-734-0995 (she has large capacity Cabs she can dispatch)

Put in Bay side:
North Coast Cab Co 419-285-3585
Put in Bay Cab Co 419-285-6161

Parking at the Millers Ferry is generally free on their parking site, on MOST week ends the locals will rent their yards out to park cars for $10-$20 depending on the crowds etc. THIS IS NOT A BAD SOLUTION FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO COME BACK LATE FROM THE BAY.
If you plan on a late party at the Bay you should leave your cars parked and take Linda's cab unless you get a DD. There are a couple of sport bars in P.C. but JOHN LAW loves the DUI business, same for PIB. DON'T RENT THE GOLF CARTS!

August is bound to be hot and muggy as it is now, and I'd strongly suggest taking a room or a cabin with some facitities and air.

The Sunday windup could be a brunch at any of a half dozen places around here (Catawba - Port Clinton) just depends on what you want to spend. I do know a few folks who could put on a special feed for us if there was enough to make it worth while.

If there is any further info I can help with please call me

C.Heck
419-654-4195

OK, are we still on? What hotel is everyone gonna stay at? Thanks Charles for the info! Yeah, I'm definitely going to need AC, I realized the rental cabin at that campsite doesn't have AC.

Let's get some details worked out here and post the meet in the LOD Events Forum! :D

A hotel on the mainland would work the best, i think. Then just take the ferry over. Even with ferry / cab fare, it would be as cheap or cheaper than staying on the island.

August 10-13, i'll be there!

It looks like there is only about 5 members (plus mates). Am I right?

We need to tie up some rooms soon.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
It looks like there is only about 5 members (plus mates). Am I right?We need to tie up some rooms soon.
[/div]

I'll come out to PIB if you make it to my meet ? Deal ?

Cheese with Whine ... hehe }(

I'm in. Just would like to find out who's staying where. And yes, we should post this generally, because part of the attraction of PIB is that it is midway between Chicago and oh, say Buffalo NY, making it a good place to get midwest members and east coast members.

Back