locked out of car

lincolnlori

Registered
here's a really stupid question and don't laugh... anyways, I locked my car last night with the keys inside and evidently left my interior lights on. well, guess what?? I can't get in with my ELECTRIC keyless doorpad. And I think my extra set of keys is in my glove compartment. Yeah, I know... what a dingbat to have both sets in car.
HELP!!!!!!! I can't get in!!!!!
Any ideas????

RE: locked out of car

One word... LOCKSMITH

I thought the interior lights should go off automatically after a while.

Leaving your spares in the glove compartment reminds me of an Abbot and Costello episode where Costello kept a coat hanger in his glove box... just in case he locked himself out!

you're a real funny guy, aren't ya! Ha Ha, me and my boyfriend were getting ready to hop on the Harley to go out for dinner and I had to shut my windows and sunroof before we left. Well, I locked the car, and my lights stayed on way longer that normal and he said something about it. so i opened up the car again moved the little dial that sets how long they stay on for and must have gone to far and triggered the interior lights to stay on. well, he was all rush,rush,rush cuz he was hungry and it did not dawn on me until this morning. I'm screwed

Locksmith is only going to charge you about $40 to get you in the car. Check with your car insurance company, some of them cover this type of thing if you have roadside assistance with them.

Chad
Completely off topic but my site:
http://www.aviary.info - Parrot Resources & information
Adult humor:
http://www.freakarmy.org

Around here if the Police are not too busy they will help you out and slim-jim it open for you.

Don't feel too bad. I've locked myself out before too. I was at Myrtle Beach and somewhat inebriated. I had never bothered to learn or write down the code for the door. I called a locksmith and paid $30 or $35 to get back in. The worst part was that I was supposed to be in the club with a woman I just met. Oh well, as it turned out, she was a dud. Maybe my car was trying to protect me!
Now, I carry the code in my wallet.
Roadie
95 Champagne Mark VIII
00 Ford F150 Supercab 4x4
86 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Around here if the Police are not too busy they will help you out and slim-jim it open for you.
[/div]

noooo no slim jim just call the locksmith

...Maybe my car was trying to protect me! Now, I carry the code in my wallet.[/div]

Marks are psychic, didn't you know? ;)

Did you also know you can change to code to one you can remember? The original factory code stays and you also add your opwn, like a birthday or other number.

I memorized my code so that I could lock my keys in my car when I go to the park to play basketball. Don't have to carry them around.

If you have a long arm, you can reach under the bumper cover and trip the hood release manually.
It's tough to reach, but I've done it myself.

Once you get the hood open, get some power to the battery and then you can use the door unlock code.

Tommy

I saw this done. Shop had a small kid with long arms just go under the car and unlatch the hood. Only way to get in there if the battery is disconnected, with out the locksmith.:)

Leo's right, boys and girls! Listen to him.

You don't have to memorize the keycode or hide it in your wallet. You can make it anything you want; part of your phone number or zip code, birthdate, whatever's easiest to remember.

Enter the factory keycode.
Within 5 seconds, press the 1/2 button.
Within a further 5 seconds, enter any 5-digit number you like. It cannot have more than 2 numbers in sequence (no 12345s) or more than 2 numbers repeated (no 55555s, but 55155 would work).
Touch nothing for 10 seconds.
Press 7/8 and 9/0 simultaneously to exit programming.
Done!

You will now have 2 keycodes: this new one (which will be erased if the car battery is disconnected), and the factory code which is integral in the keyless entry module.

Even if you turned the interior lights on with the switch, "battery saver" programming will shut them down after 20-30 minutes unless it's a really early production '93.

It would help if you gave us some idea what year the car is!

Leo is RIGHT, IF you aren't in the situation as the original poster.

HIS BATTERY IS DEAD.

NO code, no matter how easy to remember, no matter where it is STASHED will help.

First step is to either
Get juice to the battery as described above.
or..
Call a locksmith, as described above.

This almost happened to me with my Super Coupe when the battery barely had enough juice to unlock the door one time after I had left the key in the glove box.

After this happened I wondered to myself what I may have been able to do if something similar happened again.

My question. Would it be possible to crawl under the car and connect a battery charger to the positive cable going to the starter, and ground it just about anywhere. Anyone know if this could be done safely?

http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmrk3.jpg

climbing under the car would work, but that's not always easy.

I know on my car i certainly can't get under it without jacking it up, and i can't even get my jack under the front without lifting it up on the air suspension a little. I suppose i could lift just one side, though.

I say again...

Leaving the interior lights on shouldn't kill the battery!

Even if the switch is turned on manually, the RKE Module in 1st Gens or the SCIL Module in 2nd Gens will go into Battery Saver Mode and shut down the courtesy lighting system after 20 minutes. It will be re-initialized with the next door opening or ignition key cycle.
In all my years working on Lincolns, I've never seen this system fail to work.

The only way the battery will die is if it's already in such poor condition it can't survive 20 minutes of low current draw.

Lincolnlori has never bothered to mention what year, make or model her car is!
She posted on a Mark VIII forum, so I assume that's what she's asking about...

I say again...Leaving the interior lights on shouldn't kill the battery!Even if the switch is turned on manually, the RKE Module in 1st Gens or the SCIL Module in 2nd Gens will go into Battery Saver Mode and shut down the courtesy lighting system after 20 minutes. It will be re-initialized with the next door opening or ignition key cycle.In all my years working on Lincolns, I've never seen this system fail to work. The only way the battery will die is if it's already in such poor condition it can't survive 20 minutes of low current draw.Lincolnlori has never bothered to mention what year, make or model her car is!She posted on a Mark VIII forum, so I assume that's what she's asking about...
[/div]

I was thinking the same thing regarding the auto shut-off feature. I also have a feeling the battery is done.

Mike

Back