We've lost Alexander

Here are some old photos I dug up on my hard drive of some LOD events with Alex.
Carlise, NYC auto show, carlisle ice cream shop, carlise and Ed's 2nd BBQ

Attachments

• DSCN5757.JPG
    DSCN5757.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P4221494.jpg
    P4221494.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
  • P5311784.jpg
    P5311784.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2
  • P6020950.JPG
    P6020950.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 2
  • P7201036.jpg
    P7201036.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 1
More photos,
Johnny's wedding (old LED meember), cutting he cake at the first BBQ at Ed's, The toys for tots run in queens.

Attachments

• P8091083.jpg
    P8091083.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P8091093.jpg
    P8091093.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P8180030.jpg
    P8180030.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2
  • PB250150.jpg
    PB250150.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2
Last photos

The toys for tots again and carlisle again.

Attachments

• PB250154.jpg
    PB250154.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2
  • RIM00048.JPG
    RIM00048.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 2
RIP Alexander. This is a sobering reminder for those of us who are cancer survivors. Life is sweet, savor it!

This is very sad news. Alexander was a very nice and very funny guy. I will miss him. The world will miss him.

I spoke with him, weekly, on his cell phone. I also prayed with him. I am deeply saddened and feel a genuine void. Everyone who knew him, will never ever forget him. I sent a postal letter to Julie in hopes of giving her comfort, and support. It's all so very very sad. But, his spirit will live on - on this site as well as on the Squarebirds site.
Best regards to all.

Sandy Block

I just got back from Alex’s wake. It was standing room only. It has probably been over 4 years since I saw his wife Julie and she remembered me. We spoke of Alex and how with his efforts he has brought a lot of people together. There was also a very heart warming eulogy written by his high school English teacher who has known Alex for over 40 years. I believe it is comforting to her to know that people from as far away as Chicago, WV and Cap Code made the effort to pay their last respects to him.

Cape Cod...

(we'll see how long it takes Steve to notice this post, since he's only 20 feet away from me...)

-J

Alexander and I at Carlisle 2007:

mini-DSC01813.JPG

We spoke of Alex and how with his efforts he has brought a lot of people together.

We came away with deep appreciation of how many people have been touched by Alexander. As BadSax put it, we only knew of one small portion of Alexander's life with his involvement in this club. His life experience spanned so much more than what we knew of.

It was so heartwarming to see so many people at the wake last night. It literally was standing room only in the largest room of the funeral parlor spilling into the hallway.

The Church this morning was a beautiful service, Alexander touched not just our lives but so many more. I don't think any of us realized just how much.

Representing the LOD were
Steve
Sharon (Trixie) who drove 900 miles from Chicago to arrive at 3AM
Dave (Dave97LSC)
Joe (BadSax) Who took a day from work to come down from Cape Cod
John and Tammie (Driller) who came up from WV after just coming off a long business road trip
And me.

At the wake there were also many of his friends from the Squarebirds site.

It's been a very sad weekend.

Thanks to those that took the time, trouble and costs to attend and represent the LOD. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Alexander's family AND to you guys that gave of yourselves to express what so many of us wanted to do!

I'm home, and yes, it really hit home over the weekend just how many lives Alexander impacted, but not only that, how deeply he changed my life. Without him I wouldn't have met the wonderful people here who treat me like family, worry about me, let me stay with them, and just so much more than I can even express. I hadn't had the opportunity to talk to him in a while, and I'm glad I was able to say my last goodbye to him in person with those he brought together through creating this club.

RIP Alex...I never met him...but he was obviously a legend amongst his peers-the kind of person we all strive to be, somehow, some way.

This is really sad. I didn't know his cancer was terminal - I thought he had a chance.

He was such a great guy, nice AND funny; able to laugh at himself. He sure was our biggest supporter at Carlisle. It was a privilege to know him, and be able to spend time with him each year. Carlisle has always had a family reunion feel to me, too. I'm so glad I got to give him a big hug last year!!

It's great that he was able to see this board become what he always wanted it to be - a peaceful place where we can meet and talk about Lincolns.

RIP, Alex . . . you will never be forgotten :(

OMG! I can't believe this news. I too thought that he had a fighting chance. My prayers to all who knew and loved him. R.I.P Alexander!

Although I've been out of the Mark VIII world for nearly five years now, I've continued to seek out Alexander each year at Carlisle. Two years ago he told he had cancer and I was visibly shaken and didn't know how to respond. But I did my best and knew we were about to be robbed of a great American.

He was much more than a very knowledgeable "gearhead" as he appeared on the car forums. He was an excellent Doctor who truely cared about his patiences and developed several patents for medical research. I never heard him say a bad word about anybody. I am honored to have known such a great man.

He will be greatly missed by everyone. This is truely a sad time for everyone not just the LOD.

Bill Hamilton
Carlisle Veteran 2000 thru 2008

Last edited:
Oh my God, this is shocking, and devastating news.

I knew Alex for sometime now, we spoke a few times on the phone, and talked a lot on the board. I truly regret never been able to meet him in person. A man of character, and one who valued friendship. His leadership has kept the club together for many years, and his efforts will never be forgotten.

I'm a truly sadden to hear this, and give my deepest condolences to his wife Julie. RIP my good friend. You will be dearly missed.

Back