hub removal

beerdog

Registered
I could not find any posts showing how to remove the rear hubs. Here are a few.

Last edited:
I borrowed a 7-ton 3-jaw puller from a parts store. For a pusher i used a socket that just fit in the bearing bore.

Attachments

• hub removal 2.jpg
    hub removal 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
make sure to not put the puller jaws on the protruding bolt tabs. Eliminates any chance of an unfortunate turn of events. I will eventually post pics of installation once my super secrete source sends me replacements.

Attachments

• hub removal 3.jpg
    hub removal 3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
Agreed, but this did not take long. I could not figure out a way to get it fixtured on the press. I checked the ford manual and they show doing it like this. Is the opening on your cross rails wide enough for the hub to fit between them?

Agreed, but this did not take long. I could not figure out a way to get it fixtured on the press. I checked the ford manual and they show doing it like this. Is the opening on your cross rails wide enough for the hub to fit between them?

No, I stand two 9"x9"x1" press plates on end and use a large bearing puller.

Basically it's just two flat prices of metal that you "hang" the hub from in the press. Then you press the center of the bearing out and catch the spindle on the bottom.

I actually hang the knuckle using a bearing splitter and press the hub out towards the bottom. I'll try and get you a pic in the next couple of days.

1123_4519.jpg

I knew what a bearin puller is. I just could not visualize how you rigged it up. I think I get it now.I have one of these and did not even think to try it.

pressing out the bearing. I did not have anything tall enough to support the knuckle on the press so I used the jaw puller.

Attachments

• suspension rebuild 005s.jpg
    suspension rebuild 005s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
I was working on a set of knuckles today and took a few pics showing how I remove the hubs.

I usually use the bearing splitter, but if it's really stuck, and this one was, I use the second method shown.

So, here are two different ways to skin the cat. :wink:

Attachments

• HPIM2041s.jpg
    HPIM2041s.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2042s.jpg
    HPIM2042s.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2043s.jpg
    HPIM2043s.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2044s.jpg
    HPIM2044s.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2045s.jpg
    HPIM2045s.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
And removing the bearing. The support is part of a Ford Rotunda special tool kit.

Attachments

• HPIM2047s.jpg
    HPIM2047s.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2048s.jpg
    HPIM2048s.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2049s.jpg
    HPIM2049s.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
And then pressing in the new bearing and hub. :D (Not the same knuckle, this one was from last week)

Please note that I don't use the knuckle support shown in my last post while pressing in the hub. It's very important to support the inner race of the bearing when pressing in the new hub. Some shops don't do it correctly, and even the diagram in the factory service manual incorrectly shows supporting the knuckle using the special tool, instead of the bearing. :(

Attachments

• HPIM2029s.jpg
    HPIM2029s.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2035s.jpg
    HPIM2035s.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One way to support the bearing when installing the hub is to use the old bearing as the support since it fits perfect. It is obviously not tall enough by itself so some other stuff needs to be stacked under it.

Back