98 Mark base stabilization bar

bhans40

Registered
Can anyone tell me how I can find the diameter of the stabilization bar?.....I have purchased a couple sets of bushings in the past but didn't fit.... isn't there 3 different diameters for these cars?....I don't have a micrometer

There apparently are two different sizes according to my parts listing.

The 93-98 part number F3LY 5A772 A is 22.5mm diameter and uses bushing part number F3LY 5493 B.

The 95-98 (LSC?) part number F5LY 5A772 A is 21.5mm diameter and uses bushing part number F3LY 5493 C.

Based on that, the 22.5mm is the 98 Mark VIII base model rear stabilizer bar.

You could measure the circumference and divide by PI. ;)

Again driller, you come through.....I really do appreciate the knowledge you have about these cars....Thank you bruce

grab a cheap set of calipers from harbor freight.
they are not precision tools but they are more than adequate for this stuff.

I still have the original front and rear bars from my old '97 base hanging up in the garage. I just stuck my cheap plastic caliper on them, and got the following:

22 mm (Rear Bar)
26 mm (Front Bar)

I'm a little late on this.....Thank you tixer for the info it's just what I needed. Now all I have to do is find the 22 mm rear bar bushings...Again thank all of you for the info....This is the reason I keep renewing my subscription....Accurate advice bruce hansen

Ok I have the 22mm bushings for the rear stabilizer bar....Are the bushings difficult to install or are they easy peasy? Inquiring minds need to know.....bruce:thumbsup:

The rear ones are pretty simple. The brackets are held on with a single bolt. Once removed, the bracket will tip down, and toward the front of the car. The front of the bracket is a "T" that fits into a slot in the frame. Just rotate it 90 degrees (left or right) and it should pop right out.

Install the new bushings on the bar, and replace the bracket in the same way you removed it. Assuming the car isn't rusty, it should be a pretty quick (and accessible!) job.

Thanks tixer,I'm at a point in my life where "stuff" needs to be easy. Thank you for taking the time to explain how this is done. I used to do this "stuff" all the time with absolutely no problems. Now I just keep reminding myself I'm not 25 anymore. A little advice from a senior citizen: Do not get old.....you won't like it:fart bruce

As they say, "it sure beats the alternative."

I'm not 25 anymore, either..... :( But when I was 25, I didn't have a Mark VIII :D

That got me thinking, and forced me to do the math. Looks like I bought my first Mark VIII at the ripe old age of 26.. So I guess technically, what I said up there was correct.

tixer......your instructions caused me to complete the job in a little over 1 1/2 hrs....which is fantastic as the rear stabilizer bar was taken out and cleaned up and checked..... The bar is in great condition.....under the bushings was clean as a pin with no deterioration of the metal ....BTW the were the original bushings, had to cut them off.....It's so nice to do a job like this without complications.... bruce L. hansen how senior am I? I'll be 79 next month :D:D

Ha! You got a jump out of me with your 1.5 hours comment. :D I'm glad to hear the extra time was due to removing the bar entirely, and not because the job was more complex than I'd implied. I'm very pleased to hear that you encountered no surprises, and that your suspension is once again in prime condition.

Have you gone out and carved some corners? See how she handles?

There's nothing at all wrong with 79. You've definitely got a year or two on me though! Since I'm sure I'll forget in a month, happy birthday!

Back