Moose refuses to fire up

LeoC2

Registered
Woops... something wrong. Moose won't start, he cranks and seems like he wants to fire but nothing. It's off to the garage already but just wondering what the possibilities could be. It seems to be fuel related. It has been a little of a rough start lately so possibly the fuel filter? Fuel pump? Something else?

You know what they say... fuel, air, spark.

The most common suspects for the Mark VIII in my opinion is the fuel pump and then the crank sensor. Usually you can test for fuel at the schrader valve on the fuel rail easily enough. The crank sensor can be more tricky as it can be intermittent as well as having issues with the harness connector and/or wiring.

It has been intermittent where occasionally it takes a bit to get it to start but otherwise has been fine 95% of the time when cold start. When warn there was never a problem.

How old is your fuel pump? Do you hear it run when you have the key in the "run" position with the engine off? Fuel pressure is easy to check if you have access to a gauge.

How old is your fuel pump? Do you hear it run when you have the key in the "run" position with the engine off? Fuel pressure is easy to check if you have access to a gauge.

The mechanic will check all this tomorrow. Fuel pump is the original, also haven't changed the filter in years... shame on me.

He had it a whole week and nothing! Moose ran fine, starts up a bit rough on cold mornings but then fires up every time. We think he's haunted! Anyway, I think the old Mooster is showing his age and beginning to have problems. Lots of little things keep popping up. I'm seriously looking at the MKX, so many coming off 2-3 leases at very very low prices. If I put Moose up for sale I may not get much, anyone interested to part him out and we share the income?

Did the mechanic tell you what he already checked? Is it getting spark and fuel?

Apparently it got too much fuel and was badly flooded but he couldn't find the cause.

Sounds like no spark to me. Maybe if it happens again, try unplugging the crank sensor and plugging it back in.

We tried that and looked into everything, just could not find what had caused it. Starts fine now though. Moose is being retired, he gave me good service for nearly 20 yrs. Tomorrow I pick up an MKX, so loaded with tech I think I need to get a degree in rocket science to drive it! I will most likely be selling some parts from Moose then sending him off to Mark VIII heaven. I'll post an inventory soon if I go that route.

Back