Horrible , Choppy, BUCKBOARD ride.Tires or suspension ?

TOP HAT

Registered
Today I got my 1998 Mark out of winter storage. I had Goodyear tires on it. Ride was decent.I took it to Tirerack and got Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z 225/60/16 tires. I checked air pressure cold at 30 lb. Their rating chart said these were the greatest all around tire for ride,handling,etc. Anyway,from there I went to Sears and had an alignment done. Now my car rides HORRIBLE. I dont know if the tires are the problem or if maybe the guys that aligned it messed up the air ride. Could I have water in my system that is causing a bad ride?
The car was driven on ocassion during the winter on good days. Where do I start? Please, someone that knows what they are talking about bounce some ideas my way. Sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,
JEB

RE: Horrible , Choppy, BUCKBOARD ride.Tires or suspensi

Jim;

How did the car ride between the tire place and Sears? If it was okay you can go back to Sears because it was something that they did. If the ride started bad from the tire place you could have a bad tire.

Randy,

That does sound like a very logical answer doesnt it. Well,its not quite that simple I am afraid. A very short distance,newly paved street between the Tirerack and Sears. . The newly paved surface made the new tires seem to ride very well. I didnt really get a good feel until I started driving around town. Then I could tell that my nice smooth Lincoln ride had vanished. I can feel every little crack and bump in the road. These tires really do impress me as far as handling. They hold the road like they are glued down. Plus,I can turn and stop on a dime.
Thanks for your reply,

JEB

I can feel every little crack and bump in the road.
quote]

Actually I've found this to be normal on both Marks I have owned but of course depends on the individual defintion of rough ride. I would not consider the Mark VIII ride a "smooth Lincoln ride" by any means. The ride is much more firm than a Continental or Town Car. Tires do make a difference though and it could be all that has changed. On the other hand taking a Mark to Sears for alignment is suicide so who knows what happened. Techs at L/M dealers have a hard time understanding certain systems of these cars let alone the avg Sears Technician. I do not recommend taking your Mark to Sears for anything unless you know the tech personally and he/she is well versed on the Mark VIII.
Does the car appear to riding at the proper height ie., not too high or too low? Too high or too low ride height can cause a rough ride or perhaps defective front struts. Unless you have a lot of miles (100k plus)I would doubt the struts are bad.

On the other hand taking a Mark to Sears for alignment is suicide so who knows what happened. Techs at L/M dealers have a hard time understanding certain systems of these cars let alone the avg Sears Technician. I do not recommend taking your Mark to Sears for anything unless you know the tech personally and he/she is well versed on the Mark VIII.
Don't paint all Sears stores with one brush. There are only three or four places in town that I allow to work on my Marks. I've gotten the best service and respect at the neighborhood Sears automotive service department. They may not be cheap but they have earned my trust... as long as I can watch the tech thru the window in the customer lounge.;)

I doubt there is a problem with the suspension, particularly if there is no 'check air ride' message and the car is not obviously high or low. IMO I would guess the tire 'personality' change was such an abrubt one that you now condemn it as 'non-Lincoln'.

Thanks guys(and Sharon for your email)I appreciate your input. Today I drove my wifes 2001 Honda Accord V6. It has Michelin MXV4 tires. That car rides so much better than my Mark VIII I couldnt believe it. I know Marks ride a little firm. But they sure as hell shouldnt ride worse than a Honda. I also have a 96 Town car with Michelins that rides like a dream. My Mark has only 22,500 miles on it. It is in perfect condition. So I really doubt I have a suspension problem. I let the Tirerack comparison lead me to the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's. I made an error. Just that simple. The Turanzas are a fantastic tire BUT not for an old Lincoln man like me that is looking for a Lincoln ride. Back to the Michelins I will go. LOL. A Lincoln just doesnt ride like a Lincoln without Michelins.
I do agree with Driller about Sears. I managed Lincoln and Ford dealerships for 25 years. I hired Sears mechanics and they hired mine away from me. Sears has up to date equipment and they do a fine job most of the time. Just depends on the mechanic you get wherever you go. Thanks again for your input.

Jeb

What is tire pressure? Some people put less in in order to get a softer ride.

driller,
I don't disagree with you and should have rephrased my comment. There are always exceptions but I still feel finding a Sears tech that understands these cars would be just that. My views probably stem from me being such a perfectionist and rarely finding a shop that can meet my expectations hence why I do 95% of my own repairs.

driller,
I don't disagree with you and should have rephrased my comment. There are always exceptions but I still feel finding a Sears tech that understands these cars would be just that. My views probably stem from me being such a perfectionist and rarely finding a shop that can meet my expectations hence why I do 95% of my own repairs.

Agreed, if I can do it, or I know someone that personally can do it, but if I was very desperate, the L/M dealership, that’s it.

The Sears near me have a very bad reputation, and I don’t want to experiment on my mark in any shape, way, or form. It’s already sensitive, so I wouldn’t want to go to these places where they have never even seen a mark before. (Yes this happened before on many occasions)

Granted, this is years and years and years ago, but I started out my career working at Wards and Sears auto centers. We had some incredible mechanics, and some not so great. It all depended on who you got....especially in terms of alignments.

I think you should lower your tire pressure check the sticker on the door jam I don't remember off the top of my head what the spec. are but I am sure 30psi is above the recommended amount

30psi is the recommended inflation for stock-sized tires.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1987 Mustang GT - Oxford White hatchback

Give it a few days....Chances are they didnt kill the air ride switch until after it was jacked....the car gets really confused and tight after this happens....the struts can bind up some.......I dread taking my car in for service where they have body lifts......

I'm a "pit" only service guy now, and my car now keeps its ride......before, I'd come home from the station bouncing over dips, road markers etc.......Patience I'd say...

te
Gen1
146k Miles

You should have a number of days to try the tires out to see if it improves. If not, go with another tire from Tire Rack.

A number of years ago, I had 4 tires put on my Mercury Marquis from Goodyear. I was getting ready to drive to Pennsylvania. The ride was horrible. I took the car back, got 4 new Regatta tires from the same Good Year. The difference in ride was unbelievable!

Just my $.02

Good Luck

Larry

PS

I have used Tire Rack for years and NEVER had a problem.

Back