Carburetor Not Getting Fuel

LincLover

Registered
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this Lincoln question but here we go. I own a 1965 Lincoln that has 65,000 miles on it and its original 430 4brl engine. It starts right up if I spray carb. cleaner down the carburetor. Otherwise the carb. isn't getting fuel from the tank. I know this because I have glass in-line fuel filter positioned before the fuel pump to keep any potential crud from the gas tank from reaching the carburetor. Only a small amount of fuel is reaching the glass filter. Does this mean my fuel pump has gone out or could it be my fuel line is blocked by crud from the tank? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I would indeed be highly suspicious of the fuel pump. If I'm not mistaken, this will utilize a "rubber diaphragm" style fuel pump, driven off the engine. If the pump is over 20 years old, it's almost certainly bad. Luckily, it appears it's a relatively inexpensive part. I see it listed for $58 on rockauto.com.

My only personal experience with mechanical pumps was on my old '72 Jeep. On that vehicle, this part was a snap to replace. (albeit quite rusty.)

If you disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor, run it to a container, and crank the engine, you can see if the fuel pump is working. If you disconnect the fuel line to the pump you should be able to see if the line is plugged up.

Welcome!

I would indeed be highly suspicious of the fuel pump. If I'm not mistaken, this will utilize a "rubber diaphragm" style fuel pump, driven off the engine. If the pump is over 20 years old, it's almost certainly bad. Luckily, it appears it's a relatively inexpensive part. I see it listed for $58 on rockauto.com.

My only personal experience with mechanical pumps was on my old '72 Jeep. On that vehicle, this part was a snap to replace. (albeit quite rusty.)

Thanks. Yes, it very well could be the fuel pump. However, the diaphragm isn't leaking which usually indicates the pump is going out.

If you disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor, run it to a container, and crank the engine, you can see if the fuel pump is working. If you disconnect the fuel line to the pump you should be able to see if the line is plugged up.

Thanks. I know no fuel is reaching the fuel pump because the in-line glass fuel filter I installed (ahead of the fuel pump) is getting very little fuel. Therefore, I know no fuel is reaching the carb. because the fuel pump isn't getting any fuel.

Yes, but if you disconnect the line to the fuel pump and gas flows out of it, you'll know that line isn't blocked. You were wondering if it was the fuel pump or the line to it.

Back