'01 LS 5 Beeps 5 Times??

badmafia

Registered
Everytime I start my car it will beep a series of 5 beeps 5 times. No lights no nothing. I thought it my coolant or windshield washer fluid might be low but it wasn't. When each of my doors are open the door ajar light comes on, along with the trunk. Anyone else have this problem? It's getting really annoying.
Thanks

Here are your causes for the beeps......

Warning Devices
Notes

NOTE: The key-in-ignition switch is an integral part of the ignition switch.

The warning device system consists of the following:

key-in-ignition switch
door ajar switch
instrument cluster
Front Electronic Module (FEM)
Rear Electronic Module (REM)
safety belt switch
headlamp switch

You'll need to take it to the dealer to have it checked out, its not something simple. If you're mechanically inclined and you think you want to take a shot at doing pinout tests, and removing the instrument cluster, or headlight switch, or the entire ignition switch, I can give you the repair instructions, or diagnosis procedure.

The 5 sets of 5 beeps, with a one second interval between repetitions, is a VERY SPECIFIC signal sent by the OBDII RCM to indicate it has detected a restraint system concern but is unable to control the airbag warning light to let the driver know there's a problem.

As jinx 8402 already said, it's explained in his "Need Help" thread below.

I must repeat:

While any OBDII RCM detects a Restraint System malfunction and makes the decision to initiate the 5x5 beep sequence or flash the airbag light if it can, it also locks itself into a defaulted "failsafe" mode that disables ALL restraint devices to prevent any incorrect deployment. You will have NO airbags in case of an accident. There are a few low-priority error exceptions to this stratagy, but don't assume they're what you have!

Ford engineering logic is that it is safer to have no deployment and trust the seatbelts in a collision while an error situation exists, than run any risk whatsoever of having an airbag blow off in the face of a driver just tootling along on the highway, enjoying the scenery, and CAUSING an accident.

Get the OBDII Network scanned for codes.

Let us know what errors the RCM detected, and we'll go from there.

Last edited:
Back