Flashing Airbag message question?

DOHC MARK VIII

Registered
Anybody know what it means when your Airbag light on the dash flashes six times shorty after initial startup? My 91 LSC has been doing this for a while. I don't have a code reader to check but it seems to run fine.

Thank in advance,
** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

RE: Flashing Airbag message question?

According to the manual(1992) I have, the AirBag Diagnostic Monitor will flash a 2 digit code. The tens digit followed by a one second pause then the ones digit. It will then have a three seconds pause before repeating?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnecting the battery to 'clear' any diagnostic codes?

Some codes that may be "6" flashes:

24 - Safing sensor diagnostic circuit open
33 - Hi resistance or open circuit in passenger air bag circuit
51 - Diagnostic Monitor internal thermal fuse open

Any help?

Thanks John, I figured if anybody would have an answer, it would be you (LOL). My Son drives the '91 Mark VII LSC and while he's told me about it before I had never witnessed it until recently.

It will flash six times pause a few seconds and then flash six more times. Is there a "6" code or even a "66" code listed? There doesn't seem to be any pauses during the "six" flashes. Like I said, drivablity doesn't seem to be affected.

Thanks again, I know if anybody on the site had access to any type of "instructions" or codes it would be you :).

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself....

Apparently the diagnostics are different between '91 and '92? After a little more research:

Code 6 is the circuit from the bag to the module that has gone open - http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33705&highlight=airbag

...sugested removing the airbag module and cleaning the connector plug among other things. Cleaning that connector worked for me - no more code 6. - http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33705&highlight=airbag

also see:
http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33243&highlight=airbag

I don't think drivability will be affected, but perhaps the airbag system may not function, so I would definitely check it out. BTW, concensus has it to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes prior to working on any airbag system. Apparently it sounds like it is a bad connection and not a component failure, so you should be able to find it and fix it.

Now the hard part may be getting your son to stop driving it long enough to work on it! I know the '91 LSC at my house is a favorite of my two sons. I haven't seen it for a while though... it is recovering from a minor "Drivers Ed" guardrail incident at a local body shop.:( Luckily the "student" has a summer job.

Back