ABS light

Marcia

Registered
My ABS light came on the other day ('86 Mark VII Bill Blass edition) and has stayed on since then. I can hear the pump running sometimes but not like it was before. Seems like in the past it would run almost everytime I applied the brakes. Any ideas of where to start troubleshooting (beyond the obvious of check fluid level, make sure wiring is snugged)? I got it to go out the other day by pumping the brake pedal because I wasn't hearing the pump kick in. Now I can hear the pump, but it doesn't run as long.
Thanks in advance,

RE: ABS light

Hey Marcia,

I have a 1990 MK7, and got the abs light alot to constantly be on, then my red brake light came on. I could not figure out what was wrong and I still had brakes. But now, well lets just say, My MK7 will not stop. I changed the relay, changed the pressure switch. but can't get the accumulator off in order to change it. I believe that is my problem, but without being able to get it off. Then my problem still exsists.

Princess:)

Sounds like your system needs some parts replacement, but it won't be cheap. The brake hydraulic accumulators on the TEVES braking system tends to wear out over time. The accumulator was designed to hold pressure for several braking applications. There is a separate electric pump that brings the pressure back up. The system ws designed to hold pressure for 3-5 brake applications, then the pump is supposed to come on and bring the pressure back up. The brake light is probably coming on because your system doesn't have enough pressure anymore, the accumulator leaks to much. If you hear the pump coming on more than every 3-5 brakings, this could be the case.

What you need to do is replace the accumulator, pressure switch, and relay. Parts alone, thru someplace like 5 Star Ford or Ford Parts Network will probably cost you close to $500 or so if I remember right, I had mine done about 1 year ago. The job can be a pain in the butt, so I supplied the parts and had a local shop do it for about $100. You probably want to do this ASAP if your brake light is on or if you hear the pump every braking, or worse if you don't even hear it. If the pump goes bad, you have no brakes. Oh, and the cost to replace the elecrtic pump is close to $1000 alone. Replacing the accumulator will help to save your pump by cutting the duty cycle down to about 20%-30%, thus extending it's life as originally intended in the design.

Hope this helps. Here's a link to the old site where I originally asked about and the directions if you want to do the job yourself:
http://www.lodonline.org/dcforum/DCForumID20/10.html

Bill
98 Mark VIII LSC - Silver - 59K mi
86 Mark VII LSC - Black - 242K mi
More Info In Profile - Member Since Dec 2000

Hey guys(and gals ;) ) - get your Mark VII pics together and post here:

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/dcforum/DCForumID17/4.html

On the brake issue, does the pump going bad give sufficient warning prior to total failure? The reason I ask, sometimes it takes a second or two for the ABS light to go out in my '91 LSC after starting the car. I'm not sure I've heard the pump as I may have been thinking it's the suspension pump.

The ABS light taking a few seconds to turn out is normal. It doesn't go out until there is sufficient brake pressure if I remeber correctly, and I think it can be on for a long time before it is considered a problem. That may be one way to tell that your system could be going bad, if it takes longer for the pump to bring up pressure before the light will go out, but I wouldn't count on just that as an indicator. Temperature can affect that, and how long your car has been sitting since last driven.

The best way to see if your accumulator is within spec is to listen for the pump that pressurizes it and count how many brake applications you get before it comes on again. I think normal is considerd 3-5 brake applications. It can be very hard to hear, it's not very loud. It just makes a low hum/buzz type of sound for a few seconds each time it comes on. It may take a few tries for you to hear it while driving, with the radio off, windows closed, and AC off you may have a better chance of hearing it. You may want to just park in your driveway, pump the brakes, and then get an idea of what the pump sounds like when it comes on. I'm not sure if counting how many times you can pump the brake before it comes on in the driveway is the same as driving and braking to count the number.

Bill
98 Mark VIII LSC - Silver - 59K mi
86 Mark VII LSC - Black - 242K mi
More Info In Profile - Member Since Dec 2000

I found that my ABS light stayed on longer and longer, till it finally would not go out, but my brakes still worked. My problem was strictly with the abs system and not the regular brakes. Some people here refered me to the FordvsChevy.com web because there was someone there selling the abs parts I needed. I've also seen where there are some people advertising parts on "that" auction site. In fact, I bought a driver's side mirror from one of them that was in great condition for $30 including shipping! I ended up selling my '86 because I have a new project on the way...our family's '67 Cougar. It needs quite a bit of body work (if not too much!), so I had to make a decision. The Cougar was my 2nd car, so it has a special spot for me. A very good friend of mine has the '86, so I know it'll be taken care of.

I had the same problem with one of mine, the motor would run every time I applied the brakes. Replaced the accumulator (around $200 from the dealer if I remember right) solved the problem !!
If you are going to replae the accumulator yourself make sure you pump the brake pedal about 50 times with the key off to relieve the pressure before trying to remove it!! Odds are the old one can not be removed with an allen key so you may have to hammer a socket over the top of where the allen key is supposed to go and remove it that way. Also when going to get a new one from Ford you only have a 50% chance of getting the right one if they go by application, make sure you take the old one with you, there are 2 different nipple lengths

Thanks for the info! I sold my '86 to a good friend of mine about a month ago, but I'll pass that info on to them. By the way, I saw the pics of your Mark.....nice ride!

Back