Test driving a '97 tomorrow-- what to look for?

Patrick

Registered
I found a 1997 Mark VIII for sale, that all in all, it would be cheaper to buy this one than it would be to bring mine up to this condition. Not to mention, I like the Gen 2 body style better.

So when I'm test-driving it, what should I look for? Obviously the blend door, but I'm not sure what other super-common problems our cars tend to have.

Are there any particular questions that I should ask the seller?

Alright, well, I test drove it, and it rides like a dream. I have a few questions, though, for people that have driven both first and second generation Mark VIIIs.

Is the steering normally more firm on the gen2 than on the gen1?

Are both the pedals (gas and break) typically a little further down, and more sensitive on a gen2, compared to a gen1?

There was an odd chirping sound (not a steady one as if the break pads were going bad), intermittent really, that sounded like it was coming from around the center console / shifter area. Performance didn't seem to be affected, and with the radio on, it could barely even be heard. Any ideas what this might be, and if it would be something to be concerned with?

1. The steering on a gen II is much softer than a gen I... if it is firmer it is probably due to old fluid.
2. I didn't notice anything with regards to the pedals and I don't think so. The steering wheel telescopes... so it may be giving you the illusion that the pedals are further in/out.
3. Not sure about the chirping sound...

What about HIDs? The rear neon? Any ABS lights?

Also what color is the trans fluid. The 97 still has a crappy transmission so I would make sure the fluid was changed every 30k miles.

Rear neon and HIDs all work, but the HIDs are a bit cloudy... it's just on the outside, though. I'll scour around on here and look for previous topics about cleaning them.

Also, about the steering (I probably should've mentioned this earlier) along with being firmer, the wheel didn't "automatically" return to straight after a turn like it should. Again, probably the fluid? or would this have something to do with the rack and pinion steering?

Yeah, I figured that it probably had something to do with the telescoping wheel, and the fact that I didn't spend very much time positioning the seat exactly how I like it, though. Not that I'm complaining about the pedals, more sensitivity seems a good thing to me. haha

I don't remember the exact color of the fluid, but it looked like it was good, but just barely.

Any other comments will be much appreciated. :)

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. But just making sure, from the (albeit a tiny bit of) information that I've given, I probably don't have to worry about the actual rack and pinion steering?

The racks on these cars are very solid... I have only heard of a few failing... but my 98 was feather light... just like my Crown Victoria where as my 96 was firm... this is well documented change between the generations.

*whew* that's a load off. Thanks, guys, for all of your help. I'll be stopping in tomorrow to take one more ride just to make sure, and if everything's in order, I'll bring it straight home to wash and wax and get some pictures up!

Also cup holders tend to break...
PS fluid needs to be RED! Bright red, not black.
Also the steering column needs to go in and out and up and down.. make sure it all works because it is very expensive to fix.

My car "chirps" a bit (97), and just recently realized it's the driver's seat... whenever I move around, it has a high pitched squeak to it. My steering wheel has never been good about returning to position after I turn. I guess I've just gotten used to it. I've had the car 2 yrs, just about to hit 75k miles. So far all I've replaced the air compressor and front bags, replace the wheels (due to bad chrome peel), replace tires and brakes.

Yeah, one of the cupholders seems to be broken (the passenger side one, it doesn't spring out when the enclosure is opened) but that's negligible.

The steering column seems to be in full working order. Up, down, in and out. When the car starts, it moves to position, when turned off, it raises up and goes in.

It doesn't chirp when the seat moves, but rather just when I'm driving around, it randomly chirps (a lot) and at a random rate / pace. Like I said, no idea what it is, but it doesn't sound like anything bad is scraping together.

And I'm glad that this gen2 isn't the only one with an odd wheel. I would've preferred mine to be like the aforementioned one, in that the steering is lighter than a gen1, but I figure either way, I'll have to get used to the difference.

The steering column seems to be in full working order. Up, down, in and out. When the car starts, it moves to position, when turned off, it raises up and goes in.

MAKE sure to TURN THE EASY ENTRY FEATURE OFF. It will wear out the steering column very quickly. And they are very pricy and hard to fix.

MAKE sure to TURN THE EASY ENTRY FEATURE OFF. It will wear out the steering column very quickly. And they are very pricy and hard to fix.

I'd rather HAVE the feature turned on...my wife and I have different settings. What the hell good is it if you don't use it? Kinda like putting seat covers on a car...and save the nice looking seats for someone else?????

I'd rather HAVE the feature turned on...my wife and I have different settings. What the hell good is it if you don't use it? Kinda like putting seat covers on a car...and save the nice looking seats for someone else?????

Sorry I know it's off topic, But I have a friend who purcased a new Volvo and won't drive it because he's afraid it will lose value with more miles. Just sits in his garage.

We're talking about two different things Bud...

Easy Entry moves the wheel in and up... whenever you open the car... I think it is completely POINTLESS and only serves to wear out the column prematurely.

Memory seats/Steering column will always work if you use different keys or setting 1/2 etc... regardless of the easy entry feature being on or off...

Back