Back by popular demand - CarlisleBrau!

tixer

Lincoln Evangelist
Staff member
Paid Member
Badsax brought up the "Mike brand beer" thing enough times that I finally decided he was serious. I checked the calendar, and decided it was worth a shot.

I called up my friend Rob, and we put together a recipe for a Coffee Stout.

Fermentables, in order of quantity:
US 2-Row Malt
UK Roasted Barley
UK Chocolate Malt
US Flaked Barley
US Carmel 60L Malt.

Hops: Golding, and Fuggle.

8 cups of strong coffee added during secondary fermentation.

It should be a bit over 5% alcohol, 30-40 IBU. And delicious.

We got together on Saturday and brewed up a 10 gallon batch of this, (of which he kept five) and a five gallon "test" batch of his Imperial Stout recipe.

Here's what the process looks like:

Attachments

• IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

95blklsc said:
wow.....I need to get to Carlisle

Long drive from Mexico....and Cali for that matter! :(

Racking

Racking

step 1: Add 8 cups of (very strong) drip-brewed, dark roast Sumatran coffee to secondary fermenter.

step 2: transfer from primary to secondary, install air-lock, and place back in closet for 3 weeks or so.

in order for the beer to have time to bottle-condition, and be ready for the show, I may have to bottle in two. We're cutting this close. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
And I didn't even think about it until I posted that photo, but that there is the best pint glass in the world.. :)

Bottling.

Bottling.

I bottled the beer last night, and it tasted fantastic. Smooth and balanced. The coffee was notable, but not overpowering. The hops only subtly present. This should be a very good beer.

For those of you familiar with home brewing, you might be thinking to yourself. "this seems like a somewhat accelerated time frame." you are correct. I opted to let it "bottle condition," to ensure proper carbonation before Carlisle.

I even remembered the priming sugar this time. :D

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
Before you let BadSax anywhere near this be sure we all get a taste first, otherwise it'll be gone real fast!

Can't wait. The last bach was fantastic. It is the only "coffee" beer I can stand. The new Years Eve Bourban Porter was excellent also.

J, I'll have to save a bottle for you. Guiness is but one example of dark beer. although many find it tasty, myself included, other dark beers can have vastly different and more complex flavors.

Perhaps I'll bring you some samples as well :)

and Beerdog. I've been saving a little surprise for you. :D Although as of last Wednesday, it is one bottle less than I had before.
Behold: The Bourbon Barrel Porter cake.

wait for it...
:)

Attachments

• IMAG0100.jpg
    IMAG0100.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
LOL.

that's like 1.5 cups of cocoa powder, and a pound of semi-sweet chips.

... and four sticks of butter.. 4 cups of sugar, sour cream, whipping cream....

Um... let me be clear... :D

We will NOT be throwing that off the top of the parking garage... :D

as I was making it, that was actually the first image that came to mind.

I smiled. :)

Back