1994 Mark VIII Purchase Questions

oribiasi

Registered
I am interested in becoming an owner of a Mark VIII. There is one near my house, and it is described as the following:

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
Mileage: 63,000
Red exterior/silver leather interior
4.6 L, V-8
No visible rust, no major body dents of any kind

It has a moonroof that works, and all the power windows/locks/etc. work.

The price tag is $6,000.00. A friend told me a few things to consider: 1. The guy should list it for $5,000.00 instead and 2. the air-ride suspension system is a joke (?).

I wonder if anyone could address either of these issues-- mainly, I am looking for some encouragement or the opposite for buying this car. Is this a reasonable price? I like the model a lot, I test drove it and I didn't see anything wrong with it other than the fact that it may need some tires soon, and perhaps some brakes later this year, or next.

RE: 1994 Mark VIII Purchase Questions

If it's in good condition, then it could be worth $6000. It sounds like it doesn't have many miles.

The air ride system does have it's faults, but it's not really very complicated. Eventually the front air springs will start to leak and need to be replaced, and the compressor will eventually go out, but if you can do the work yourself it's not very expensive to repair.

I'm with Dave, the price doesn't sound bad, the air ride isn't perfect, but it's a pretty nice option IMO. You'll like it the first time you have 4 people in the car and a trunk full of stuff and are able to drive around without dragging the back end down the street.

FYI, the headlights are horrible, if you can get it for under 6K, apply that extra money towards a set of 96 HID headlights, it'll be the best money you'll ever spend on that car...

Good luck!

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/images/loveit.gif -J
LOD - New England Member

--> www.ivotedblue.com www.airamericaradio.com
--> www.bradleyreport.net www.npr.org

The air suspension is part of what makes it a Lincoln. ;)

Thank you all for so many good responses; a friend told me to contact this website for good advice, and he was right. I do have some more questions, though.

1. The only has a tape deck/radio. It works fine, but I wanted a CD player, is there a good web-site anyone knows of for Lincoln parts, other than E-Bay auto? Also, is there, perhaps somewhere on this forum, a walk-through on how to take out an old unit and install a new one? I sort of want to keep it stock, you know.

2. I may take it for another test drive, is there anything 1994 Mark VIII owners know that I should look for in it?

Ok that's it--again, thanks a lot for all your input!

3. Woops, one last thing, I agree on the headlights, they seem to suck--where would I go to buy the 96 HID lamps? And, can I install them (which is my way of asking, is there another walk-through?)

Another light question--it seems that two or three of those back lights, not the turn signal lights but the strip of lights in the middle, are out--are they inexpensive or impossibly hard to find.

Thanks again, sorry for asking so many questions guys.

the lights on the back are easy and cheap on a '94.

the HID headlights are expensive and hard to find. I would recommend just getting new regular headlight housings and trying to find some "HIR" lights. They'll run a little cooler and supposedly put out more light.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
1. The only has a tape deck/radio. It works fine, but I wanted a CD player, is there a good web-site anyone knows of for Lincoln parts, other than E-Bay auto? Also, is there, perhaps somewhere on this forum, a walk-through on how to take out an old unit and install a new one? I sort of want to keep it stock, you know.[/div]

Do you mean CD changer or in-dash CD player?

2. I may take it for another test drive, is there anything 1994 Mark VIII owners know that I should look for in it?Ok that's it--again, thanks a lot for all your input![/div]

Like Steve says, check the FAQ and make a checklist so you can methodically check things out.

3. Woops, one last thing, I agree on the headlights, they seem to suck--where would I go to buy the 96 HID lamps? And, can I install them (which is my way of asking, is there another walk-through?)Another light question--it seems that two or three of those back lights, not the turn signal lights but the strip of lights in the middle, are out--are they inexpensive or impossibly hard to find.Thanks again, sorry for asking so many questions guys.
[/div]

Give Max at FiveStarFord a call for the $$ on the HIDs(or most FLM parts for that matter). http://fivestarford.com/Department-Parts.aspx

The lights on the back strip are simple wedge base bulbs, I believe 194s. Simply peel back the trunk lid liner for access. A good bulb reference: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

You can postpone replacement by polishing the lens and trying new bulbs(Sylvania SilverStars or even the new HIR(Halogen InfraRed Reflecting) bulbs). You could even opt for auxillary lighting such as driving lights behind the grille. The headlamps replacement can go either with OEM lamp assemblies or the costlier HIDs. You may find as I did that just replacing the OEM lamp assemblies is approximately 1/3 the cost of complete HIDs which include bulbs, ballasts and lamp assemblies. I tried seemingly every work-around and eventually chose the HIDs with the new HIR bulbs for high beams. It is easily a DIY project. A lot of reading can be found in the archives concerning this subject.

the lights on the back are easy and cheap on a '94.the HID headlights are expensive and hard to find. I would recommend just getting new regular headlight housings and trying to find some "HIR" lights. They'll run a little cooler and supposedly put out more light.
[/div]

I've got the HIR bulbs and they do what the manufacturer says they do. Almost twice as bright as stock, which is adequate. They are far from HIDs though. You could try HIR bulbs first, and if they work for you, you're done. If not, you could still upgrade to HIDs and find a buyer here for the HIR bulbs.

If you are looking to stay stock, I have the original cd player and the disk changer. They all work great. One thing to mention on the CD player. The off button does not work. So you can still turn it down all the way and achieve the same result. Let me know if you are interested.

And I really enjoy my mark. I purchased mine in fair condition with 112k miles and a small leak in the bags for $1500. I have since spent just over $1500 getting it where I want. All I have left for now is paint, exhaust and cold air intake. This is by far the funnest car I've ever had.

Alex

navarrox5@sbcglobal.net

You can sell the stock radio on ebay for $100-140 depending on timing, then buy yourself whatever you want to put in your car for radio. Looks like everyone else has addressed your other questions.
Though, if you want to stay stock, leave the deck alone. That's the reason the decks sell so well on ebay. Lots of us want our Mark's the way they were from the dealer not pimped out like it was owned by a teen-aged road ricer. :)

Chad

Not that I disagree on the radio thing, but let's face it, I like to listen to a CD now and then, and at least the stock CD player would look better. My other car is a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and I have tried to keep the interior as stock as I can, which I think was a good idea.

And yes, you've all been awesome with the responses, and I thank you! I just have to make my mind up about it, I suppose; my main fear is buying something that old and then having it go belly up in like 6 months, but that is life right?

I also read the FAQ page on this site and was interested in a few of the "bargaining chips," because I wonder, what would they be worth, in terms of a price reduction? For example, I think that the rotors are possinly warped a little, from the test drive, and hence this could be used as a reason for a reduction, but of how much?

Also, does anyone think it would be logical (or even useful) to bring the Kelly Blue Book value in, so as to negotiate the price in that way?

I want to make a decision this month, for a variety of reasons, so that is why I am so set on this topic. This car really moves, the mill is running fine (for those old enough to remember that one, or young enough, like me, to have had their parents play it to them) and what a project car this would make for me!

Thanks again, everyone, you guys are awesome.

... I also read the FAQ page on this site and was interested in a few of the "bargaining chips," because I wonder, what would they be worth, in terms of a price reduction? For example, I think that the rotors are possinly warped a little, from the test drive, and hence this could be used as a reason for a reduction, but of how much? Also, does anyone think it would be logical (or even useful) to bring the Kelly Blue Book value in, so as to negotiate the price in that way?
[/div]

Price is almost always negoitiable when buying cars. The more chips you can stack in your favor the better. Usually buying any used car involves some flaws, so the value of price reduction is nominal at best. UNLESS there is a single particular flaw easily identifiable and quantified, such as body damage, drivetrain failure or perhaps in our particular case - air suspension maladies.

My advice is to always test drive at least TWICE and preferably have someone else look also at the car mechanically. The first thing YOU have to do is settle in your mind how much you are willing to pay and stick to it without necessarily revealing your price until your FINAL offer. If you reveal your price without it being absolute, you simply open the door for haggling and will most likely pay more than you were willing. If all negoitiations fall short, walk away and check back in a few days. :)

Also, does anyone think it would be logical (or even useful) to bring the Kelly Blue Book value in, so as to negotiate the price in that way?
[/div]

There are so few Mark VIIIs out there that Blue Book is useless.

O.K. I will bite. I would not pay that much for the car. Sounds like a gem and pretty hard to find, but not worth it. You could buy a car with about 30,000 more miles for about 3 grand less. If you are an enthusiast who wants the car becouse it is a low mile mark and dont intend to drive it much, then sure. If you intend to drive it and enjoy it, then I would find one with a few more miles for half the price. Take a look at the resale on these things. If somebody crashes into you and totals it you wont get what you owe if they go by local sale prices. Sure, many of us would pay that much becouse we love the car and its hard to find one with those few of miles. It wont hold its value and you will lose your butt the minute you drive away with it. I would offer 4,500 at the most. Its a 12 year old car. dont forget that. Also, dont forget that these cars will do 200,000 easy and usually more. I would look for one with more miles in the same shape.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

O.K. I will bite. I would not pay that much for the car. Sounds like a gem and pretty hard to find, but not worth it. You could buy a car with about 30,000 more miles for about 3 grand less. If you are an enthusiast who wants the car becouse it is a low mile mark and dont intend to drive it much, then sure. If you intend to drive it and enjoy it, then I would find one with a few more miles for half the price. Take a look at the resale on these things. If somebody crashes into you and totals it you wont get what you owe if they go by local sale prices. Sure, many of us would pay that much becouse we love the car and its hard to find one with those few of miles. It wont hold its value and you will lose your butt the minute you drive away with it. I would offer 4,500 at the most. Its a 12 year old car. dont forget that. Also, dont forget that these cars will do 200,000 easy and usually more. I would look for one with more miles in the same shape.If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
[/div]

But suppose I make that offer and he laughs in my face, then what? Just walk away? Like someone earlier said, these aren't easy to find cars, and around Cleveland there are like 3, almost all of which with 100k+ miles. With that many miles anything can go, and at least this one has a 3 month/4500 mile warranty. Thoughts?

Like i said, if it's in good shape with those miles, it's worth $6000. If it's worth that much to you, and that's what you want, buy it.

Sure, you can find one with more miles that is still in good shape and save some money. Sure, once you drive it for a couple of years it's going to lose some value. But so does any car. A 60,000 mile mark 8 is not a bad car to be driving if $6000 is your budget.

I paid $14,500 for mine with those miles, probably put another $5-6k into it, and i'm asking $8500 for it now with a lot more miles.

I paid $14,500 for mine with those miles, probably put another $5-6k into it, and i'm asking $8500 for it now with a lot more miles.
[/div]

Mark VIII's that drive like Corvettes don't count... :+

When did you buy yours Dave? How many years newer is yours? Even with all the mods you have done it still has not sold. Please dont interpret that as putting your car down. Seen it in person and it is a fine example. Yet it still has not sold. Fact is, the minute he drives away with it, it will lose value. The only chance the current owner has at selling it that high is to an unsuspecting/uneducated buyer. I could not immagine buying a car, getting in a crash and finding out that the insurance is going to pay out less than I paid or owed. I personally think its important to detatch yourself and look at the dollars and cents of it when making a large purchase. After the six grand he will still have to upgrade the tranny, probably do something with the lights and may still have driveline vibaration. Just due to age many of the bushings are going to be shot. Even though it is low millage it will probably still need suspension work. If the rear sway bar has not broken yet, it soon will.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Back