Emissions waiver

Misanthropy

Information Junkie
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-emissions26-2009jan26,0,3460961.story

Thoughts? here are some of mine:

It might help develop new technology for the future things if there are more regulatory standards for tailpipe emissions. Such as new technologies are mainly developed during ware fare and crisis. We all know egr and cats just make it harder for the engine to work on the standard vehicle, increasing restriction and raising overall temperature, thinning out and "capturing" carbon on the release. The way I see it if the carbon is thinner it helps people with breathing problems but at the same time it's friggin thinner, meaning harder to filter by our bodies on the way to the lungs and has less density making it easier to rise near the ozone where it does damage? the denser is it the closer it is to the ocean where most of our air is returned as oxygen.

It would force people to buy new cars (I know he has thought of this one which seems fuken crooked, but hell what isn't nowadays) or find an alternative means of filtering the cars. This puts strain on the mostly white community of car enthusiasts, the poor like me that buy beaters to beat up sometimes, and the elderly that just have that old vehicle and live on a fixed income.

Increasing technology five fold takes out jobs for the non schooled mechanic forcing him into another area of expertise. Increasing fuel mileage for the big three right now means less weight a little more technology (seems like they focus on a bunch of useless push buttons now) which means unless there is a super plastic your going to die when a steel car hits you.

I mean there are tons of pros and cons like the opposite of the car being lighter is "oh it still has a steel frame" and if anything of a certain speed hits you are dead anyhow. There was a Ferrari that crashed going over 200mph and the car disintegrated on him, leaving him unharmed. Fact being the cheaper the car even if it gets good mpg its designed like crap.

Or to my statement of schooled mechanics, they would be smarter and then be more qualified to work on cars.

So there is always a negative adjacent to our +.

Looking for opinions.

Here in Maryland, they no longer test the stuff coming out of tailpipe. They just plug their computer into your OBD II plug. No codes, you pays your money and off you go!

Here in Maryland, they no longer test the stuff coming out of tailpipe. They just plug their computer into your OBD II plug. No codes, you pays your money and off you go!

Umm they do that, sniff tail pipe and put your car on a dyno here. So get ready for that.

Oh we get the whole shebang. Check pipes, cats to be tempered with, they check charcoal box (they could make me take my bumper off if they wanted.) I was like damn, I thought I only had to bend over once when the military checked my ass.

They do that here but we don't have to pay. Not sure what they do on the pre OBD II or even I cars. They still have the eqpt to test the tail pipe gas.

Like Max says...sniff, roll, plug, and pay.
plus, they now limit the locations you can take your car to. If it a "test only", you cannot go to any SMOG shop...you have to go to a 'test only' center.

Our Lincolns, in stock form, run so clean, you couldn't kill yourself in your own garage with them.

I am amazed at how they barely register.

I'd rather see them back off the smog checks on cars, and crack down on the insurance problems/frauds out there, plus some of the wrecked car being held together with bungee cords and red tape that I see.

There's a ton more revenue in going after the illegal vehicle operators, and jalopies on the road, than sniffing a 10 yr old refined engine's emissions.

and why is it that all the Hybrids can ride in the car pool lane? H.O.V. stickers? WTH? They should yank those stickers off any Prius/Hybrid that has body damage. seriously...if they cant drive, they shouldnt be allowed to get any perks.

which brings me to my next rant:

why are traffic fines for blatant disregard so low?
I saw a lady driving a Denali with an expired messican license plate(temporary registration sticker in rear window) in the car pool lane, going 70+ in a 55, talking on her cell phone(not hands-free) with no passengers in the car.

1)car should be impounded/sold
2)license should be suspended for A)speeding, B)in the car pool lane, C) talking on a non-hands free cell phone

but no. she'll get a ticket some day, and she'll pay it with the money she is saving NOT smogging/registering her car/buying a hands-free headset.

when I see someone on their cell phone driving like a moron, I should have the right, as someone who pays high California insurance rates, to have them arrested/cited. they are breaking the law. Their poor driving abilities puts me at risk, thus costing me more money.

if you drive down the street with a cell phone stuck to your head, and aren't paying attention, you owe me money...that's how i feel.

if they would raise the fines for blatant infringement, the state might have a little more revenue.

make the cell-hpne ticket $975.00
and give me one legit reason why they shouldnt have it that high?

If I knew it might cost me a grand and/or my license if i got caught talking with a cell phone stuck to my head/hand, I most certainly wouldnt even consider it. But since you get a warning, or a no-point ticket, what's the big deal.

Ok...I'm done....for NOW.

Last edited:
How about the idiots that eat their Egg McMuffin and drink their hot coffee while driving at 20 over? I even see idiots reading the am paper & a magazine while driving.

For what its worth, a Cell phone ticket will cost you about $140 after court fee's and processing, even though its only 50 bucks for the actual violation. A carpool violation is only $80, but after fee's its $381.

I'm right there with you though.....people get off too easy.

Oh, and as far as the Temporary Registration Stickers go, starting Jan 1st, you can NOT get one unless you've paid ALL your fees but you need to do repairs to pass SMOG. And, they will only give you one month. I'm glad they fixed that, even though its a huge red target for me when they go past their temporary month because it automatically goes back to when the registration actually expired. :)

Go get 'em, Jesse!!!! Don't forget that LADY painting her nails and hangin' 'em out the window to make a left turn!! "OH - I wasn't signaling for a left turn Officer, I was drying my nails!!"

Ummm, come to think of it, it's Calif...could be a guy drying HIS nails! LOL

Lmao! I've stopped someone for flipping another person off but I didn't write them. "Sir, I stopped you for your improper use of a hand signal...."

Here on base if you get caught on the phone its 30 day driving suspension for 1st offense, 2nd offense is 180 days, 3rd is permanent suspension of on base driving privilages.

Next time in town traffic, amuse yourself by counting people on cell phones while you wait at a light.

Next, notice the gender of the offenders. :eek:

How about the idiots that eat their Egg McMuffin and drink their hot coffee while driving at 20 over? I even see idiots reading the am paper & a magazine while driving.

When I was in high school, one time a friend of mine had a Subway sub in one hand, a large Coke in the other, and his brother was steering from the passenger seat.

What's nice about the Mark is you can do that while alone....and steer with your knees!!! The 4-way adj. steering wheel is nice!

Back