Poly Rear Shock Mounts - Swap Procedure

Is anyone currently selling those aftermarket plate style mounts like shown above? If not, I'm sure I could make up some here at work fairly easily if need be. I wouldn't mind having a set for my 93 since it started making some noises out back recently.

Chris

You could pattern it from the stock mount.

I'll try and get some time this weekend to pull the shocks off of the 93 to get the plates measured up and go from there.

Chris

I'll try and get some time this weekend to pull the shocks off of the 93 to get the plates measured up and go from there.

Chris

Get a set of generic rubber shock bushings that fit the stem and measure the part diameter that would fit thru the plate so you know what hole diameter to have for the bushing.

I just got a set of the poly bushings. The original post shows a blue lubricant which dd not come witht hem. Their website does not show any lubricant so I assume it is not included. Any idea what type is acceptable for poly?

Chris

I contacted the guy who was selling them. He said he no longer does it becasue it was nto worth the effort. Just not enough market. BUT.....he sent me a drawing of the part with dimensions for the hole sizes and spacings. He used 1/4 plate. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

I contacted the guy who was selling them. He said he no longer does it becasue it was nto worth the effort. Just not enough market. BUT.....he sent me a drawing of the part with dimensions for the hole sizes and spacings. He used 1/4 plate. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

That would be great. You can email it over to chris@candbmotorsports.com. Do you happen to know what he was selling them for? I have a pretty good hookup at the local waterjet/laser shop so i can't imagine that the cost would be too bad for a pair of plates with bolts welded to it and some bushings.

Chris

I just got a set of the poly bushings. The original post shows a blue lubricant which dd not come witht hem. Their website does not show any lubricant so I assume it is not included. Any idea what type is acceptable for poly?

I use dielectric grease.

I think he sold them for 25$ a set. They also have a nut weled on it for easier assembly. Plus there was 2 bushings.

The blue lube you are seeing in the pic isn't lube. It's RTV. Dom and I noticed that if you burned the rubber out out of the stock mount the mounting plate no longer completely sealed against the body. So we loaded it up with rtv and bolted it down, no leaks.

Need an opinion. Which set-up is preferred? The first picture uses the lower washer from the Monroe shocks. The 2nd picture does not. The poly bushing happens to fit over the small shoulder that the Monroe washer sits on. The only reason I think it s intentional is that the sleeve from SCP is short by that exact amount.

Attachments

• P1010226.jpg
    P1010226.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010227.jpg
    P1010227.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After doing this the only tip I would add is that when pressing out the regular bushing you should press out the inner steel sleeve first. Then the rubber bushing will easily pop out. I happen to have a 1 ton arbor press from one of my estate sales.Picked it up for $5. It still took a pit of force to press out.

After doing this the only tip I would add is that when pressing out the regular bushing you should press out the inner steel sleeve first. Then the rubber bushing will easily pop out. I happen to have a 1 ton arbor press from one of my estate sales.Picked it up for $5. It still took a pit of force to press out.

Removing the sleeve allows the bushing to deform making it easier to remove.

No need for a press, thats what the torch is for! =) I don't have a press thats why Dom and I went that route.

OOOOOOPPPPPPSS! Every since swapping in new shocks, mounts, and bushings I have been hearing a mild randon clunking noise. Finally jacked it up and evaluated the situation. The lower shock bolt was loose! Not sure if I neglected to tighten it or if it loosened up on its own.

Anyone ever have the lower bolt loosen onit own after installing the poly bushings?

OOOOOOPPPPPPSS! Every since swapping in new shocks, mounts, and bushings I have been hearing a mild randon clunking noise. Finally jacked it up and evaluated the situation. The lower shock bolt was loose! Not sure if I neglected to tighten it or if it loosened up on its own.

Anyone ever have the lower bolt loosen onit own after installing the poly bushings?

Getting old, Man!!!! Join the club!! I did it with the front caliper!

Back