Rolling Restoration needs...

Teadt

Registered
Hello All,

IM BACK BABY!!

Its been a while since Ive been on the site, I like the new color scheme, lol. I just got another 98 Mark VIII after selling my last one (still regret the decision). She is in great shape but not show ready yet.

Can anyone point me to where I can get a new interior, head lights, and even the Motorola car phone? If any of you remember I am all about bringing this car back to the front of people minds when they think about Lincoln. So my plan with this one, (my last one) is to make it the best daily driver/ weekend car show diva it can be, lol.

All the best, please stay safe.

Welcome back! :wave:

Try messaging dbleb88.

If you fail to get a hold of him, PM me and I'll see if I can put you in contact with him.

Best of luck with your new project!

Hey all,
This is the poster formerly known as Teadt, lol.
The project hit a wall due to covid but im back to tearing things apart. Now, before I start telling on myself please note, I have no clue what im going, lol. Any, and I mean ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so it all started when the shifter stopped going into gear. I brought it in the garage, got it on stands and found this...

This...

Im not sure what its called so im going to use the technical term, "thingie next to the transmission connected to the bottom of the gear shifter", (you have to say the whole thing like A Tribe Called Quest).

So originally the plastic black tube was broke in 2, so I grabbed some hose claps and wire to fix it, it did not. My Rolling Resto was now a full Resto.

Thing next to Trans.PNG

So then, I just went a bit HAM and started unscrewing everything I could get my big bananas hands on...and now im WAY past the point of no return and im sure I may have done some premiant damage.

Before...

20201015_130056.jpg

20201126_131014.jpg

Wow! You've been busy! (And welcome back!)

Take lots of pictures. It's easier than notes. :) I'm sure Bill will chime in about those little white "pillows." They're important sound deadening.

What's the end-game for this car? It seems like you're off to a good start, whatever it is.

In your picture above, is the "plastic tube" the shifter cable? If so, it looks like you need a new one. The part on the trans that it connects to is the MLPS, which is a pretty well known trouble spot, leading to stiff shifter operation. The problem is actually rust on the shaft it fits onto, but you have to smash the MLPS to remove it..

And then finally, I gave up.

20201120_150537.jpg

So with that said I am in need of ALOT of help. If anyone has a good POC for parts that would be huge. I have had 4 of these so I know my way around them enough to know alot of high level stuff. But I want to get as many OEM parts as I can while updating parts to 2021.

Next steps:
Tow to shop to have the block and trans pulled.
- Rebuild or replace both
- Upgrade every part I can, (or what ya'll recommend)
Interior restomod
- Carpet, (anyone have a good replacement)
- Steering wheel, (will a newish LS with all the buttons fit?)
- Seats, (this one is big any suggestions?)

So thats it team, the goal is to answer the question, "What would a 2021 Mark VIII LSC look like?" I will seriously consider any ideas. Thank you all in advance for any and all help.

Wow! You've been busy! (And welcome back!)

Take lots of pictures. It's easier than notes. :) I'm sure Bill will chime in about those little white "pillows." They're important sound deadening.

What's the end-game for this car? It seems like you're off to a good start, whatever it is.

In your picture above, is the "plastic tube" the shifter cable? If so, it looks like you need a new one. The part on the trans that it connects to is the MLPS, which is a pretty well known trouble spot, leading to stiff shifter operation. The problem is actually rust on the shaft it fits onto, but you have to smash the MLPS to remove it..
Thank you for the input. I do plan just replacing the whole thing, and your right the shifter cable was the issue.

20170721_172046.jpg
This was my last one. I never NEVER should have sold her. My plan is to remake her with this one:

Starter car.PNG

Im still on the fence abut the vinyl top but I really like the uniqueness. And I have seen some LS's that still have them now a days...

Maybe not "rip" out the cables, but carefully document and remove.. :) I'm sure you'll need to reinstall most of those.

I do believe I have read/heard that the Lincoln LS steering wheel has the right number of splines to fit. If that can be confirmed, it also opens up some similar era Jaguars, which might be a prettier wheel yet..

As far as the "2021 Mark" exercise goes, this is probably your best template. Although it's admittedly more "cruiser" than "sport."

Last edited:
Trixter, I hate your entire face.

That is exactly what a 21 Mark should look like and now im going to go broke making it happen. You better have room on your living room couch when my Wife kicks me out....

Oh, its getting ripped. I want to get a new harness with better insulated wire. Im sure that by now there is better CAT5/CAT6/CAT6E, lol.

Just to reiterate....I hate you! :)

Attachments

• 20201111_174319.jpg
    20201111_174319.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Maybe not "rip" out the cables, but carefully document and remove.. :) I'm sure you'll need to reinstall most of those.

I do believe I have read/heard that the Lincoln LS steering wheel has the right number of splines to fit. If that can be confirmed, it also opens up some similar era Jaguars, which might be a prettier wheel yet..

As far as the "2021 Mark" exercise goes, this is probably your best template. Although it's admittedly more "cruiser" than "sport."

Back