Distance Data Error and ABS Module Repair

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
I had a Distance Data Error appear on my message center, on the white CE.

DSC07615 (Small).JPG

2 weeks before, I had an ABS light on the dash. I was meaning to read the codes then, but I never got the time. I figured these two errors were related.

I finally borrowed the scanner from a friend, but it wouldn't communicate. I checked the fuses and the 20 amp fuse under the hood was blown.

I took a look at the ABS module and saw these melted wires from the bottom:

DSC07618 (Small).JPG

I took the bumper off and saw the side of the electronic module melted:

DSC07624 (Small).JPG

I bought a used module from Jeremi (thanks again Jeremi) and went to work.

I didn't want to replace the ABS valve block because I didn't want to break the brake lines open, and have to bleed the whole system.

The manual says to replace the whole thing (electronic module and valve block together) but since they are not available new anyway, I thought I'd ignore the manual.

Don't try this at home, the manual says you shouldn't, so I am not responsible if anyone else tries this.:D

I cut what was left of the wires, and removed the module:

DSC07633 (Small).JPG

The rods on the valve block (the coils magnetize these when needed) were rusty, I was suprised to see there is no seal between the block and electronic module:

DSC07636 (Small).JPG

I cleaned the rods before I put the replacement module on:

DSC07689 (Small).JPG

Then I put the module on, and started to splice 25 wires together, what fun! I hate fun like this::)

DSC07690 (Small).JPG

All done:

DSC07691 (Small).JPG

I started the car, no messages, no lights and the pump did the self test around 15 MPH like it normally does.

I put the bumper back on today.

I still don't know why it melted down in the first place, I checked all the sensors before I spliced the wires, no shorts, around 4 M ohms one way, infinity on the other.

Congrats on getting it fixed.

Odd there is no seal between the brake block and solenoid module.

Wow Bill, awesome job. That is really cool to see what it looks like on the inside! Good job on the repair. :)

I had a Distance Data Error appear on my message center, on the white CE..............................
I still don't know why it melted down in the first place, I checked all the sensors before I spliced the wires, no shorts, around 4 M ohms one way, infinity on the other.
wow good job, I wouldn't shot something lol

Wow Bill that's one helluva mess! I think I would have just sold the car if it was mine lol.

Good job!
me too, lol

Thanks guys, there's a few details I left out, but I'll add them when I can, if anyone's interested.:)

Here's one that's not obvious in the photos or manual:

Those rods don't move like a regular solenoid, they are sealed in the valve block.

The coils magnetize the rods, and I'm guessing they close valves in the valve block using that magnetism. There are no wires going to the valve block itself.:)

Last edited:
I wanted to post a new thread and ask if I can replace the ABS module with the whole valve block and pump still in the car :) Now I know these rods won't fall out! :D

In my case the pump works for sure but I get Check Traction Control and ABS light during the self test at 15mph. ABS works sometimes when it's below 15F outside - maybe it's winter option only in my Mark VIII ;)

Too bad I didn't replace ABS module the last time I took the bumper off to replace air suspension compressor :(

Thanks for a great pics and info!

I wanted to post a new thread and ask if I can replace the ABS module with the whole valve block and pump still in the car :) Now I know these rods won't fall out! :D

In my case the pump works for sure but I get Check Traction Control and ABS light during the self test at 15mph. ABS works sometimes when it's below 15F outside - maybe it's winter option only in my Mark VIII ;)

Too bad I didn't replace ABS module the last time I took the bumper off to replace air suspension compressor :(

Thanks for a great pics and info!

I had that problem a few weeks before I had this problem, the light right at the self test. I thought it might be the relay for the pump motor. I checked the relay plug, it was OK and then I plugged it back in. It worked ok for a few weeks, then this happened.

I'm not sure if that was related (I'm guessing yes) but I'd take a close look at your module and wires. You might be able to catch it before you melt all the wires like mine.

Keep in mind that the 98 has a different module than the 97.

Last edited:
If you're getting the lights that means you're getting codes too. If you post your codes I'll give you the meanings from AllData.

If you're getting the lights that means you're getting codes too. If you post your codes I'll give you the meanings from AllData.
The only code I get is: C1095 - ABS hydraulic pump motor circuit failure

ABS works sometimes (with no ABS warning light/Check T/C error message) mostly in cold weather. I think it's electrical/electronic problem and replacing the module will help.

That pump motor is controlled by the ABS relay, next to the module. You might want to check that connector first.

Mine looked fine, but I plugged it back in and it worked fine for a while. The ABS module may control that relay though, I haven't checked the wiring diagram yet.

Strange, I checked the wiring diagram and it shows that the motor gets its power from the ABS module.

I can't even find the relay in the diagram.:confused:

I read the manuals some more.

The 94 had an ABS relay. The 98 does not.

The 98 has an Electric Air Management (EAM) relay (same as 94 ABS relay and air ride compressor relay). It's for that pump that blows air into the exhaust manifolds for a couple of minutes at start up (OBD2 Marks).

Apparently, me unplugging, and plugging that thing back in, did nothing. :D

Lol Bill. What about a 97? Here's what I got.....its going old school with a breakout box.

C10951.gif

C10952.gif

C10953.gif

Lol Bill. What about a 97? Here's what I got.....its going old school with a breakout box.

Yep, same thing, no ABS relay. I've only got a 94 and a 98 manual. I wonder what the 96 has?

All these times when we say swap the air ride relay with the ABS relay, we're lying half the time.:D

Does it also have an EAM relay?

According to the EVTM, yes it does. I've been meaning to unplug mine since I had the air system disconnected with the installation of the Cobra exhaust manifolds on my '96.

The '96 sure has some unusual wiring diagrams as I am so accustomed to the '93's wiring. Stands to reason since the '96 has 44 more pins at the PCM to work with! :D

So the 96 has three of those solid state relays?

Those crazy 96's, a half breed between Gen 1 and Gen 2.:D

Back