Interior water leak on passenger side, seal repair.

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
I had a leak causing the carpet to get wet, I knew it is usually from the HVAC air intake under the plastic cowl cover under the hood. I removed the cowl cover, and sealed up the (hard to see in the photo) crack in the factory seal around the intake peice with some RTV sealer.

There is also a rubber seal on the inside of the cowl cover to keep water from entering the top of intake from the windshield. You can see I circled what was left of the seal and another seal on the side that were both rotted and hard. I replaced the long seal by putting a piece of closed cell foam camper top weatherstrip on the metal where the original seal should have contacted it. Then I made up another seal to replace the little one on the side. I stuck them on and put a bead of RTV on them, to seal to the cowl cover. I did the same to my 98 before and it took care of the leak, I'll see how this one works on my 97. Air intake seals 1.JPG Air seals 2.JPG Air seal 3.JPG

I've noticed a similar issue on our '06 Town Car. It's on the list of things to do.

Back