Cat-back exhaust for the Mark

jruppert

Registered
I dont understand why you cannot get a cat-back exhaust setup from the large exhaust companies. I looked at summitracing and they have a kit for the Thunderbird 4.6. Why would it be any different? I cant even find replacement exhaust parts for the LSC if one wanted to just to a stock change over.

The reason is that the market is miniscule, so there is no investment availaable to fab up a bunch of sets. This is also why we pay a ton for headers, they are almost one off as there is little demand as compared to the TBirds. In your part of the world there are plenty of shops that can fab up what ever you like at reasonable rates.

Why buy a Cat back when you can get all new exhaust, customized to how YOU want it, for the same price or cheaper?

I went to an exhaust shop yesterday that I have always felt did extremely good work. They have done work on my Mustang in the past and even wouldnt charge because it was minimal work. I talked to the owner about getting exhaust on the Mark. He basically said that he wouldnt touch it. He said there wasnt enough room underneath to run larger exhaust. Well I know this to be untrue since some of you guys have done the same. I basically said ok and left. I wasnt going to argue with him. So now I need to find another shop that will do the work. I suppose if I were to come up with the 2 mufflers (preferrably from Lincoln Motorsports) and a couple cats, I would save some cash because they love to mark up their parts.

I talked to the owner about getting exhaust on the Mark. He basically said that he wouldnt touch it. He said there wasnt enough room underneath to run larger exhaust.

WOW...what a cop out. Print out some pics and say...."you can't do this? thats a shame."

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15018&highlight=headers

I suppose if I were to come up with the 2 mufflers (preferrably from Lincoln Motorsports) and a couple cats, I would save some cash because they love to mark up their parts.

You may run into issues there because some places won't install customer supplied parts.

2 mufflers (preferrably from Lincoln Motorsports)

Barf....

Buy some magnaflows/flowmasters/borla and throw some tips on it....save some money. Heck, buy some cheapies from eBay before you fork out a ton of cash because it says "made for the mark 8". Nothing wrong with LMS but its all about saving money and looking out for one another.

Yah I agree it is odd that the big exhaust guys don’t make a cat back system, once they make one set the setup is in a computer and mushiness makes all the bends, human hands just inspect and box. I’ve heard of some manufactures not even keeping inventory, they make a lot of parts to order and ship. And its odd that BORLA would make parts of Ferrari or a Civic and not a car that’s basically a thunderbird with a cobra motor, Americans modify everything. Only reason I can see that they do not do it is because FORD F*#ked us over with the cats one on the header and one on the pipe. DONT tell me they did that to make it easer to install the motor at the plant whenever the motor is installed from under the car. That’s Ford making sure you bought the cheaper car to build to race (mustang and focus). You don’t see the Mustang or focus with two different size headers, and everything is ripe for modification, STIDA, SALEEN, ROUSH all having parts available before the new car hits the show room floor.

Lol! I'm sure it wasn't to install the motor easier, but more of the shape of the transmission and the position of the steering shaft. Remember, if the cat on the d-side was similar to the passenger side, it would be right next to the shifter linkage....probably causing some heat issues with the cable. I'm sure they didn't do that specific thing so we'd buy a mustang, haha. Clever, but that is looking a bit to far into it. I know I didn't look at the placement of the cat before I bought my Mark. :D

I will say that they did not upgrade our transmission properly so they could make money off of us.

Ford had been putting the driver's side cat like that for quite a few years....I had a '87 T-Bird that was built the same way. Driver's side cat on the downpipe and passenger side cat past the downpipe.

So the question is what do we do about making are cars sound mean? Has everyone else just simple put some mufflers on?

So the question is what do we do about making are cars sound mean? Has everyone else just simple put some mufflers on?

Um. no... REMOVE the mufflers!!!!!!! :D Thats what I did. I dont mind the sound at all. Two things though, I have no primary cats and I still need to run pipe to replace the mufflers and then it would sound perfect. There are a few guys with just the mufflers replaced with straight pipe and they all like the sound.

I've been considering the straight pipe idea with some nice Magnaflows. But to be honest I really don't want it to loud just mean and a beautiful tone.

I've been considering the straight pipe idea with some nice Magnaflows. But to be honest I really don't want it to loud just mean and a beautiful tone.

Something about the mark VIII exhaust setup makes it VERY susceptible to drone and it is also inherently quiet.

If you chop off the mufflers... the sound is very good. I would recommend going with that first. It is cheap... and you're not wasting any parts if you don't like the sound and you can always add mufflers later.

I heard magnaflows... and if you just replace the factory muffers with those it is quiet.

I would go with magnaflows... if you have high flow cats and headers.

So, muffler delete only? Wouldn't that worsen the drone? These are just honest questions, I need to do something the car just doesn't get the attention I want it to get right now. Do you now anyone who has done this set up and might have a sound bite or three :). I got a new Mark want new exhaust kind of thing.

The drone was better with no mufflers than it was for me with bullits... aka glasspacks or whatever people call them. Magnaflows will drone also... almost every setup will drone under load from 2100-2500 rpms.

I did 2.5 all the way back and took the third cat, resonator, and the mufflers off and it sounds amazing and its actually not extremely loud. From 2k to 4k is the loudest in the band and then it quiets down. Amazing sound tho. Nobody believes it doesnt have mufflers.

Back